Reducing Algae in a Pond

Is there anything other than bleach or pool chemicals that I can use in my small garden pond to prevent algae? Last year I used laundry bleach and it killed a frog. I have also caught dogs in the pond on hot days. I don't want anything that will be harmful to animals, etc. I've had to drain and clean the pond twice already this season due to the algae and it's too much work to keep doing it repeatedly. There is a water fountain in the pond that runs from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.

By Judy from Laurel, MT

My mother and grandmother used barley straw to keep their ponds sparkling clear/clean. They both had fishponds that were havens for fish, frogs, birds.

I'm not sure of your budget, but there are plenty of places online to buy it...

a third-

and there are a lot more.

Controlling Algae in a Pond
Controlling Algae in a Pond
Home and Garden Gardening Ponds and RockeryAugust 14, 2010
Garden Pond
Cleaning a Garden Pond
Garden Pond
Building a Garden Pond
Backyard Pond
Controlling Grass in a Backyard Pond
Beautiful Swan
Decorating a Pond for a Wedding