Recycled CraftsCrafts

Uses for Crib Blankets

My children have outgrown their baby blankets and quilts, but still want to use them. Any ideas on how to make this small bedding more useful?

Thanks in advance!

Karla from CT

Hi: Haven't got any fancy ideas right now but you could sew several blankets or quilts together to make a larger covering. Use as is or make a slipcover (like a large pillow case) out of a sheet to make it more stylish.... Anita from NJ

My daughter is 3 and she uses her old receiving blankets for playing with her dolls.

My girls (9 & 12) love their baby blanky blankets! I sewed several diffferent blankets together to make throws for them. They use them in the car, on the couch, on sleepovers, etc. The colors and textures don't match, but they don't mind!

I used my kids old blankets & t-shirts to make pillows for them to sit on or lay around with, except my daughter's...she used hers for her dolls forever, then her stuffed animals had to have beds & pillows.

Hope that helps...

After they are REALLY through with them,wash and dry or dry clean and use as a wall hanging in their room. And you can even have them framed and behind glass with acid free matting for them. They will last at least 50 years longer that way. And one other way to save them. Cut them up into patches and make a patchwork quilt teddy bear for the kids as a keepsake. My cousin took her mom's house dresses and made her siblings all patchwork quilt teddy bears made from them. Her's sits in her son's high chair, and he's grown with a family of his own now.

My kids are 12, soon to be 13, and I still have 3 or 4 of their crib blankets. We take them on road trips to use as covers when riding in the car. They are small and don't take up lots of room, but provide just enough to cover if the a/c is too cool for some riders.

cut them in square and make a quilt they will love to have it when they older. Also I know someone who did that with there children baby clothes.

Cover pillows. Make pillows for gifts. I used my son's

crib sheets for our dog. She sleeps on a crib mattress so they are the perfect fit. Over the years, I used the receiving blankets for her also. They make a perfect cover for the back seat in almost every vehicle protecting seats and making her hair almost free in the car. Outdoor furniture cushions for chairs. Cloth napkins depending on your colors. Most girl shades are perfect for Easter time. I've use a number of materials to cover switch plates. It is a nice decor touch. Fabric is endless. You can cover and recover almost anything. Get out that glue gun if you don't sew.

Jennifer CA

I would make a quilt out of them and save the quilts until the kids are old enough to appreciate them.

Thank you for all the creative ideas. Keep 'em coming!

I kept all my children's crib blankets and when they married I presented the crib blankets to my daughter-in-law and gave my daughter's their crib blankets. I also gave my children the layette that I brought them home from the hospital at their birth. When grandchildren were born my children use their own crib blankets for their children and then when the children outgrow the crib blankets, they were stored in a Cedar Chest to pass down to the Next Generation.