Removing Plastic from a Smooth Top Stove

My daughter dropped a plastic hot dog bag on my smooth top stove. I have tried the Cerama Bryte, scraping with my fingernail and nail polish remover but it did not remove it. Any suggestions on how to clean the burnt plastic from my smooth top stove?

Barbara from Cookeville, TN

Have you tried magic eraser?

I've use a razor blade on mine. Also the tabs off of bread bags make good scrapers.

Maybe Goo Gone with a plastic scrubber...maybe

I use an old credit card (or grocery "savings" card) as a scraper to remove difficult substances without scratching the surface. This might help.

I like my razor scraper--just be careful to keep the angle close to the stove so you don't risk scratching. I also like Bon Ami (a scratchless powder) for tough messes on mine.

WD-40 takes plastic bags off toasters. May be that would work on the stovetop. Remembered a wash it thoroughly before firing it up.

I always keep a single edged razor blade in my kitchen on the formica splashback edge for just such projects.

Also, if you are careful with the spray/splash and have a light touch, you can use oven cleaner letting it sit for about an hour, and that, too will remove it, rinsing with cool water and a paper towel. Wear gloves, use ventilation.

God bless and help you. : )

I burned plastic on mine once, and just carefully used the razor scraper - works great.

TAKE SOME WAX PAPER AND PUT IT OVER THE MELTED PLASTIC AND TAKE A HOT IRON AND IRON OVER THE TOP OF IT. WHEN THE PLASTIC IS SOFT ENOUGH YOU CAN PEEL OR SCRAPE IT OFF. I ALWAYS HAVE A PLASTIC SCRAPER ON HAND. HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU.

I use easyoff oven cleaner. Spray on the area let stand 15 minutes, then scrape off with a razor... Presto..it's gone. This how I clean it all the time. The razor will not scrath the surface,.

Just get a magic eraser wet, and wipe your stove down and if there is a few pieces of plastic left on the stove just use a razor and gently scrape it off!

Use WD-40 and a razor. An entire base of a kettle melted on to the ceramic stove top, and got it off in minutes. Works like a charm.

OH MYYYY! I am so happy I followed this advice first! I had my Breville Toaster Oven on top of my glass top and somehow the burner got turned on, unbeknownst to me, the smell brought me into the kitchen the smoke was awful and the right side of the toaster oven base and feet were melted!

I opened the doors and turned on all fans, ugh the smell. BUT it was even worse when I saw the mess on my back burner, about an inch high of melted plastic stuck on like glue. I had tried to scape it off when still warm but thought it might pop off when it got coldWRONG!!

SO I have been lamenting for a week and then decided to google the problem.

OH what rejoicing after spraying the glob with WD 40 and letting it sit a minute ALTHOUGH I could see it was breaking it up or dissolving it or something was happening. I wiped it off and reapplied for the residue, then I used goo gone as another poster had said. Now my stove is like new, no scratches and no residue. THANK YOU for posting.

We did the same thing: put an electric kettle on our stovetop. It completely melted. Cleaned the mess in minutes using your technique. Worked like a charm. Our stovetop never looked better. Thanks a million! We thought we had to replace our stovetop.

I just burnt my brand new toaster oven forgetting there was a bag of bread on top of it in a heavy plastic bag. Used the WD40 and then Goo b Gone, scraped with a plastic scraper and am happy to say it all came off after a bit of work but still looks brand new.

Heated up full till plastic turned gray. Turned off, let cool and wiped off with dry cloth. Used flat razor blade to scrape off around the edge. Plastic bread baby melted on burner, all cam off clean

Cleaning a Smooth Cooktop Range
Cleaning Melted Plastic From a Smooth Cooktop Range
Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesJuly 18, 2008
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Stove Burner
Removing Melted Plastic from a Stove Burner
Smooth Stove Top
Cleaning Stains on a Smooth Stove Top
🎉
🎄