Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Getting Rid of Worms On Pavement

We have a problem. We have worms in our driveway, so many that we could start a bait farm. Does anyone have an idea how to keep them off?

Thanks.
Dave

By Janus [8]04/18/2011

If they are earthworms, be glad you have them. I have read they are a sign of healthy soil and they help aerate it, which helps your lawn out for free. My dog thinks the dried ones are a delicacy, but that would be the only problem I would see. If they are not earthworms, we have a local extension office of our agricultural college that would identify them or you could take them to a local garden shop. You should attract a lot of birds (and possibly beagles). I would not personally try to get rid of them.

Here are questions related to Getting Rid of Worms On Pavement.

Question: Little Black Caterpillars (Worms)

We have little black worms, about an inch long, crawling all over our porch and house, by the hundreds. What are they?

By Dena

Most Recent Answer

By Karen05/23/2013

Hi. I think you might have millipedes. Do they curl up when you sweep them up? Are they hard shelled?
We went to an exterminator and had to appy something around the house perimiter.
Good Luck!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Getting Rid of Worms On Pavement

I have a problem with worms crawling all over my pavement. They are long, skinny, dark worms. They come out of my lawn, but I am not sure how to get rid of them. When I walk out of my house, they are all over the pavement. Any ideas how to get rid of them? Thanks.

David

RE: Getting Rid of Worms On Pavement

If they are earthworms, be glad you have them. I have read they are a sign of healthy soil and they help aerate it, which helps your lawn out for free. My dog thinks the dried ones are a delicacy, but that would be the only problem I would see. If they are not earthworms, we have a local extension office of our agricultural college that would identify them or you could take them to a local garden shop. You should attract a lot of birds (and possibly beagles). I would not personally try to get rid of them. (03/23/2005)

By guest

RE: Getting Rid of Worms On Pavement

Earthworms usually come up and out of the ground when it rains because they are drowning underground. Is it raining or are you overwatering? (03/23/2005)

By Linda

I have literally thousands of worms in the driveway and they are all migrating into the garage and now into the house through the mopboards. I sweep them out of the garage several times every day, but they keep coming back.

Every morning there are thousands in the garage near the door to the house. They are hard, 1-1/4 inches long with little pincers, and coil when disturbed. How in the world can I get rid of these pesky critters? I do have chickens, but even they can't keep up with the infestation.

By Bonnie T. from Kinderhook, NY

RE: Getting Rid of Worms On Pavement

I got this from Colorado State Website http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/insect/05552.html

Millipedes
The most common millipedes are dark brown and reach 1 to 1 1/2 inches when full grown. They are round and elongated, with many small legs. A common description is "little black worms crawling in the basement windows." When dead or disturbed, they tend to curl into a tight coil.

Millipedes do not bite or pose any danger to humans. They feed on rotting organic matter such as leaves and wood and rarely feed on tender green leaves and roots. They spend almost all their time in moist areas, such as under rocks or logs and in lawn thatch.

Movement into houses often is sudden and sporadic. Most millipede movement takes place in September and October and again in midspring. Invasions, usually into cellars, often take place shortly after a period of wet weather and end as suddenly as they start. (07/16/2009)

By rachel923

RE: Getting Rid of Worms On Pavement

RE: Getting Rid of Worms On Pavement

Those are either millipedes or centipedes. With that many, I'd use an insecticide or you can try what I wrote to someone else about maggots. Borax or washing soda might do them in. Put a border between the outside and inside, like a solid trail. If they cross it, it might kill them, too. (07/18/2009)

By c t

RE: Getting Rid of Worms On Pavement

Salt! I always use salt outside my front door to keep worms and snails away. It works! (12/18/2010)

By apoderosa