How do I clean burnt sugar from an All Clad pan? It is badly burnt.
By Barbara from Naples, FL
Try filling the pan with hot water and 1 cup of powdered dishwasher detergent. Bring to a boil on your stove, and simmer for 1/2 hour, watching that it does not boil dry. Add water if needed. Scrape the burned sugar with a spoon or other tool with an edge with the water still in the pan. A lot should come loose. Dump the water, and scrub with cleanser and a scrubby. If what is left does not come off with scrubbing. repeat entire process. This has worked for me, and may work for you. The pan is unusable as is. The cheap detergent from the dollar store works fine for this if you don't have a dishwasher. Good luck with your pan.
Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.
How to clean burnt sugar water residue from stainless steel pot?
After leaving a pot unattended, the sugar I was trying to boil burned to a cinder. The entire pot is coated with black "tar." It is a standard stainless steel pot (sauce pan) with a lid, it has a double clad bottom. I hate to throw it away. The pot alone would be $40 to $50 to replace. Any suggestions?
By BobbyC from Marlboro, NJ
According to what I googled, boiling hydrogen peroxide in the pan seems to work wonders. (07/30/2009)
Put it back on the stove containing baking soda and vinegar. It will loosen a good part of it. Then, scrub with a scrubber. (07/30/2009)
Also, soak with automatic dishwasher detergent and hot water overnight. A lot of it will come right up in the morning. That stuff dissolves everything. (07/30/2009)
Thank you one and all for your advice. I can tell you honestly that the hydrogen peroxide worked, with very little effort. When I said that the pot was covered with a "tar" like coating, that was really an underestimation. It was more as if you took a spray machine and coated the pot with a thick coating of black, hard epoxy. Impossible as it seemed, I tried the peroxide, only because so many others said that it would work, and it did. Once again, many thanks. (08/02/2009)
I'd just like to say to everyone who tried the hydrogen peroxide method that you are very lucky to be alive today. Boiling HP is extremely dangerous. It is highly unstable at high temperatures and can explode if the boiling becomes too vigorous. In addition, no matter how many windows you have open, just looking into the pot to scrub the stuff from your pot has exposed your lungs to acid fumes. (04/15/2010)
How do you clean burnt sugar from a stainless steel pot?
By Trip from Tucson, AZ
Soak with water mixing with Clorox (regular bleach that can be bought from a departmental stores) overnight. Stuff dissolves everything. (05/12/2010)