Making Roses for Decorated Cakes

I have decorated cakes for 30+ years and recently developed a way to make beautiful roses for wedding and specialty cakes by hand, using regular icing instead of fondant.

Make icing using a bag of powdered sugar, 1/2 cup Crisco (do not substitute!) and a very small amount of water (3-5 tablespoons). You want your icing to be thick--yet smooth, similar to modeling clay.

To form a rose, start with a ball of icing about the size of a dime in the palm of your hand. Flatten it thin, and roll lengthwise, jelly roll style. When finished lay on a flat surface, in an upright position to begin forming your rose.

For petals, use about the same amount, flatten this thin but not as thin as for the middle of the flower, in an oval shape. Pick up your middle and attach the petal to the middle section. This is like working with modeling clay and you simply mold the flower petals on, one by one.

After you have formed the flower to your liking, using your fingertips, roll the tops of the petals to make your flower realistic looking. If you aren't satisfied with the look, take apart and try again. The more you experiment, the easier it gets.

After these are made and placed on waxed paper, they can be air dried for several days or used straight on the iced cake. Since they have no flavoring in them they will not go bad before using them. I used this method on weddIng cakes recently with great results. Handmade roses for wedding cakes can cost up to $15.00 and you can form your own for less than $2.00 per batch.

Sharon from Ravenna, KY

What a gorgeous job you did on the cake and the roses!

Beautiful!

Your way seems MUCH easier than the Wilton method! Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

God Bless,

Sheila in Titusville, FL

How lovely! I am not talented like that but thankyou for sharing your beautiful work.

All the best to you~

What a beautiful homemade cake you made and shared

with us. You are very talented and I bet you see

a lot of smiles. Take care

Beautiful. Also, has the bride knocked the groom out or just down? Ha Ha -- good touch!

I love the idea, and your cake looked beautiful! I can't believe you made those flowers by hand. Interesting that you found this out. I want to know what size of bag of sugar to use. How many ounces in the bag? Thanks again for sharing.

I have seen this same idea use fior making roses grom Aleen's glue and bread dough. Just goes to show how one craft can be used for onther.

SHARON - I JUST HAD TO COMMENT ON YOUR BEAUTIFULLY DONE CAKE. I LOVE TO BAKE BUT HAVE NEVER TRIED ANY ELABORATE DECORATING. YOUR ROSES ARE SOMETHING I WILL MOST LIKELY TRY TO COPY IN THE FUTURE.

PEACE AND BLESSINGS ... JOAN - DILLEY TX

I would love to learn to decorate cakes, but it looked too intimidating. Well, thanks to you, not anymore! I'm going to try this method because I LOVE roses.

Thank you!

A beautifully decorated cake.
Frugal Cake Decorating Ideas
Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking CakesNovember 9, 2007
Pink rose with bumble bee.
Growing Roses in Hot Weather
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
Heart of a pink rose.
Growing Roses in a Tropical Climate
🎉
🎄