AdviceFood Tips

Preventing Cheese From Leaking Out of Calzones

I love making homemade calzones, but the cheese always leaks out of them while baking. I pinch the edges tightly to make sure the calzone is sealed well, but the cheese still leaks out. Any suggestions?

teddygirl

Ok, I'm not trying to be a smart alec, and this may not even be an option for you, but I would go to my local Italian retaurant that serves up calzones and ask them how they keep the cheese in. Many of these places are more than willing to help you out. That is how I discovered that the "secret" Mexican cheese dip that urban legend always said was goat cheese was nothing more than white Velveeta bought wholesale in Atlanta. Funny, but it worked. I've been making my own cheese dip now for many years!

You might try adding a vent hole or two in the top of each one, in case it is steam buidup that causes the dough to open enough to make the cheese leak out.

You might try wetting the edges with a water to seal before pinching them together, like a fried pie. The water acts as a glue with the flour. Hope this helps.

Maybe it would help if you used a fork to pinch the edges closed.

Also, do you apply any kind of a glaze to the calzone before baking? Maybe some kind of an egg wash would help to seal the edges.

I'm not sure, but I think an egg wash is when you take an egg, beat it, add a little water, and beat it again. Then you brush this mixture on top of the calzone and bake.

Hope it works.

Also, I'd love to have your recipe! I love calzones, too.

Best regards from Smoochie :)

You might cut a small slit or two in the tops of each to let out steam - like when making a two crust pie.

Alternatively, you might be using a high moisture cheese which is causing excessive steam build up.

I manage a Pizza Shop. I have tried a few ways with calzones. The best is to almost double fold the edges, take both the top and the bottom part of the dough and roll it together and crimp it like you would a pie crust. Also it is very important to cut a few slits in the top to let out the steam. This should give you a beautiful Calzone.

Good luck!

Karen from Ohio