Removing Weeds from Crowded Beds

Here's a tip to remove stray weeds, invasive vines or stalks of crabgrass from crowded beds or shrubs, such as junipers, where it's not feasible to spray. Put on rubber or latex gloves, slip cotton gardening gloves over the rubber or latex gloves. Put the herbicide (like Round-up) on the cotton gloves and stroke the offending plant. The rubber or latex gloves protect your hands from the weed killer and the cotton applies it directly to your invasive plant. Works excellent for weedy vines.

By Charbie from St. Johns, MI

All I can say is THANK YOU for the tip!!!

Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you!

This is the tip I have been waiting for for ages!

Kind regards

Willem

Thought the tip was great probably wouldnt recommend roundup though as it is translocated around the roots and can affect other plants in the immediate vercinity however a herbicide like buster works by interupting the production of chloropyl therefore starving the plant doesnt go to the roots and cant affect other plants.Gallant is another chemical that is selective only to grasses and this can be sprayed over other plants like flowers and shrubs as will only kill grass varietys these are chemicals avail in new zealand not sure if avail there.Hope that is helpful.

Thanks for this information. I can hardly wait to get started. My husband is always killing my beautiful plants by trying to kill the weeds with just a "little squirt". It always kills my plant too. Thank you so much for this wonderful tip.

Re "the rubber or latex gloves protect your hands from the weed killer" Latex is still a porous material, and made more porous when wet, as the natural protein barrier in the glove becomes somewhat dissolved, so this method of protection could still mean your skin is being exposed to toxic chemicals. At a minimum, wear 2 pairs, but also try gardensalive.com for effective, non-toxic weed killers that don't damage people or our environment. Good luck with your weeds!

I have used a disposable foam paint brush to paint RoundUp on weeds among my flowers. I have not observed any damage to adjacent plants, although perhaps I was lucky.

Oh, be careful! Roundup is another of Monsanto's Jekyll and Hyde chemicals, I believe. It is super toxic to people. Your gloves are porous, so it will absorb into your skin.

Weeding the Lettuce Patch
Controlling Weeds In Your Garden
Home and Garden Gardening WeedsJune 6, 2006
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
Flower Beds
Killing Weeds in Flower Beds
Hand picking weeds
Controlling Weeds Organically
Gravel Driveway
Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel
🎄