Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Roses Losing Petals Quickly

Question:

I planted my first rose flower this month and it went quite well, with all the banana peels and coffee grounds. But after they bloomed, they only lasted for 2-3 days at most then the petals started to drop. I don't want to lose my flowers so soon, they smell so good.

Is there anything I can do to make them last longer ? I plant my roses using pots because of the limited space. So, even just 1 or 2 blooms, they are special to me and I really wanted to enjoy them longer. Btw, what's the name of this kind of rose ?

Hardiness Zone: 11

Susan from Surabaya, Indonesia

Answer:

Susan,

Unfortunately, most modern roses don't hold up that well to tropical heat. Hot weather usually makes quick work of the blooms, and they tend to last longer in cooler climates. For every rose variety hybridized, there is a so-called "thorn'. For example, roses that are bred for fragrance sometimes sacrifice size and longevity in blossoms. The same can be said of the varieties bred for big, diseases-resistant blossoms, they usually are not as fragrant. You may be able to keep your rose bush full of blooms longer if you remove the flowers before they go to seed.

You may not be able to keep each blossom longer, but you may be able to coax your bush to remain full of blooms by removing fading flowers before they go to seed. Have you tried cutting the blooms off and bringing them indoors (where it's cooler) to enjoy as cut flowers? They may actually last longer this way. Also, don't forget to fertilize your bush while it's blooming with a rose-specific fertilizer (follow label as directed).

I'm not sure what type of rose you have here. It's beautiful. A variety called 'Pergiwati' (same pink flowers) is produced in Indonesia for the cut flower market in some of the bigger cities such as Jakarta, Semarang and Surabaya. Here is a link to a searchable database that may be useful in trying to identify it.

Good luck!

Ellen

By

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

By Susan Phoea [4]04/03/2008

Thank you all so much for the info. I've never tried to make them into cut flowers but I'll will try it now. Add natural fragrance into my home. I use Miracle Gro and banana peels for the roses until now and they grow really well. I tried to root the roses from cuttings but they died. I'm going to try another method too from thrifty to root them. Wish me luck. Here is another picture of my yellow rose, beautiful but no fragrance.

RE: Roses Losing Petals Quickly

By Beth (Guest Post)02/29/2008

Some rose varieties do have the characteristic of quickly declining after opening. There is a beautiful
vazriety here called Belinda's Dream that everyone wants to use as a cut flower in vases, but it rarely holds together more than two days.It is such a prolific bloomer in the garden that we just enjoy rhe blooms there, and gather the petals for sachets and potpouri.

Beth

By joan pecsek [88]02/22/2008

Myrtle May is right, the more fragrant they are the shorter their life.
Enjoy them while you can and remember them in photos. Your rose looks like a tea rose, don't know what kind but it is gorgeous.

By Kerry Browning [2]02/22/2008

I agree with Myrtle May. You can make rosewater with clean petals. Just soak them in water in the refrigerator for a day or two. It tastes delicious. Or just dry the petals for potpourri or sachets.

By Su Wilson [6]02/22/2008

The more heavily perfumed the rose, the quicker the petals seem to fall off. They are more like the original rose, the unperfumed modern roses seem to keep their petals longer, but are not as nice. As far as I know there is nothing you can do about it except enjoy them whilst they last. I'm not sure what kind of rose it is, but it is abolutely stunning.