Getting Prescriptions From Drug Companies

My sister is married and her husband just lost his full time job. Both of them are part time workers now. She is 62 and they have no insurance.

She is on Singulair and Advair. Does anyone know if Merck can help with her meds? She lives in Temple, PA. Thanks.

By Vicky

I used the Google search box, typed in "Merck," and hit enter. Their website was the first to come up, and this was listed:

http://www.merck.com/responsibility/pap-information.html

It wasn't that hard to do a search. You (or your sister) will need to do the reading to see if she might qualify.

Her doctor will have to do the paper work. Several years ago I was in that situation and my doctor had to fill out the paper work for four different drugs, from four different companies, every three months. Then I would get a three month supply. I also had to remind the doctor when I was due for refills.

You might tell your sister to call the drug company & ask them if they have any programs that will help. I have to take an allergy medication that is very expensive(nothing else works), my co-payment after insurance is $50! I have a card they sent me that the pharmacist scans & I get $25 off my co-payment,making my total $25, much more affordable! And I'm not retired,disabled, or low income. I think a lot of drug companies that have programs to help.

This should help:

Uninsured Americans - medicines or vaccines for free or at discount Merck firmly believes no one should go without the medicines or vaccines they need. We support policies to increase access to medicines and vaccine and are committed to assisting underinsured or uninsured people obtain the medicines or vaccines they need to improve their health. We have programs to provide our medicines and adult vaccines for free or at discounts to people who do not have prescription drug or health insurance coverage and who, without our assistance, cannot afford their Merck medicines and vaccines. We are proud of having these programs, and Merck is actively supporting healthcare reform that will ensure affordable healthcare coverage for all Americans.

Merck and Schering-Plough have merged as a stronger, combined company. The Merck Patient Assistance Program, the Schering-Plough Patient Assistance Program and Merck/Schering- Plough Pharmaceuticals Patient Assistance Program will continue to operate independently. In the future, the existing patientassistance programs may be combined into one larger umbrella program for Merck -- through which we plan to provide access to more medicines with one simplified enrollment process.

Please use the Web sites and phone numbers below to request information and enrollment forms

http://www.merck. com/responsibili ty/pap-informati on.html

I don't know about a free program from Merck for Singulair (your sister should apply but be prepared because she might not qualify and even if she does qualify the Singulair might not be a medication on their list of help giveaway).

GlaxoSmithKline definitely 'does not' have a free program for Advair. Advair is on their list of not a help give away. I can no longer use those powdered breathing meds because they give me Thrush really badly even with rinsing and gargling so I use liquid nebulizer meds now but when I was taking Advair (or Symbicort) and Spiriva I got free samples from my pulmonologist when I was on my twice a year spend down (same as deductible) Medicaid periods. Have your sister call her GP and/or Pulminologist to see if they carry the samples. If they do, I am sure they will give her a couple of months at a time of them as long as she goes to pick them up from their office.

Isn't your sister on Medicare at age 62? If she talks to her Social Security worker there is a program for a discount on Medicare Part D (which is for prescriptions) that she can apply for.

Contact your nearest MAP (Medical Assistance Program) office. You can call your clinic to find one.

December 7, 2010 Flag

You don't have to go without your prescription medications if you can't afford them. When I was broke, I got my drugs gratis! The drug companies actually have programs in which they give away their products. Contact the manufacturer about applying for their program (there are some restrictions.)

By pamphyila from Los Angeles

Answers:

My husband and I were not able to pay the exorbitant prices for the drugs we were taking until we contacted a local outreach program that sets up freebies with drug companies. We were with the program until Medicare Part D came along. We still struggle because of the premiums and then the do-nut hole at $2,000, but we have no choice as long as we are on disability and Medicare. If you aren't on Medicare, the program is wonderful. They even gave us free vitamins since we couldn't afford them. (10/31/2006)

By hsorbits

I read about a great site in a magazine and never thought I'd need it. A year later my husband was put on a very expensive drug for his ulcerative colitis. It is needymeds.com. They let you find the medicine and hook you up with the manufacturer. It has been a godsend to us.

Karen in Port Clinton, OH (11/01/2006)

By hairyjoe

Health & Beauty Prescription DrugsDecember 7, 2010
Aspirin
Uses for Aspirin
Prescription Drugs
Getting Help Paying for Prescription Drugs
A woman breaking a cigarette in half.
Coping With the Symptoms of Nicotine Withdrawal
Various promotional items.
Removing Logos from Promotional Items
🎄