Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Taking Care of Apple Trees During the Fall and Winter

Does anyone know of something I can treat apple trees with over the fall and winter so the leaves won't be infested in the spring? My husband and I moved into a house in the country with two apple trees (the apples are light green and soft red when they are ripe). They both yielded fruit this year but the leaves have something on them that makes me think of aphids and I was afraid to try to eat the apples. I would like to preserve all the fruit next year, but don't know how to take care of apple trees. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your help. I LOVE this website!

Glomax

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By chris - sassycats45 AT yahoo.com (Guest Post)04/06/2008

We are trying to find out what to use for worms on our apple tree.we moved in 4 years ago, the first year the tree was full of apples. Now after 4 years we get big apples but they are full of worms. We where told to try spraying with dish soap, we have 2 dogs and a cat, so we want the safest way. Please let us know. We want to be able to enjoy our apples. Thank you

By sassi zoheir (Guest Post)07/10/2006

i would like to be informed about the way how to take care of my apple trees and how to prevent them from any expected danger, knowing that my trees are in a mountain area.

By Glynda Lomax [2]11/10/2004

Thank you so much for your advice! I never thought of taking some of the leaves to my local Ag Ext office for evaluation, and I never thought about cleaning up the dead leaves instead of letting them mulch naturally. I appreciate the info!

By Nancy11/09/2004

Congratulations on your trees! I envy you as I live too far south for apples. Take the leaves of your tree to your local nursery and have them verify what the problem is (in a sealed bag like a zippered sandwich bag is best so you don't spread it if is a disease or insect). If they don't know, your county agricultural extension office is a good source. Once you know the problem you will have a better chance of figuring out a cure. At the same time have the soil in the area you tree grows in checked (ph, etc) so that you can treat it also. A tree growing in healthy soil fights/survives diseases and bugs easier. There are a lot of sources on care for your trees both locally and on the web. Again your local extension office is a good source. I personally swear by Rhodales books on natural care of plants. I also hang out at the library and read/buy gardening stuff applicable at Barnes & Nobles (they let you browse books, even provide chairs at my local store). I'm sorry this advice is so general, but not knowing what the problem is exactly limits advice.

In the mean time, when you loose the leaves this fall from these trees, clean them up and destroy them. You do not want to mulch them, this may not destroy what ever infestation you have.

Good luck!!!