Browsing: Organizing Goodwill Donations

Donating to Goodwill

Rather then making a pile of stuff to go to Goodwill that gets bigger and bigger on top of the dryer, I hang a heavy duty trash bag on a hook in the garage which is two steps farther than the laundry room. All donations go right into the bag. When its full, I toss it in the car (well, maybe not toss, it gets pretty heavy) and take it to the charity thrift store. It really helps to round up clutter as I have a designated place for it without thinking about where to put it or getting a box to put it in.

By Linda

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Another great idea...be sure to make an itemized list as you put items in the pile of goodies to go to Goodwill/Salvation Army. That way when tax season rolls around you are prepared for those itemized deductions. I placed a small box designated just for charities in my mudroom (1/2 bath right at the back door) and put a steno pad with it...so that as things go in ...I write down exactly what it was. Also, as I return the box...I place my reiept in an envelope marked "taxes/charites" in a drawer in the same room at the same time I replace my box.

I donate only to St. Vincent De Paul, because they don't charge so much for items that are totally free to them, and they actually help people.

Before you donate to Goodwill...please watch this.

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_ ... d-just-pennies-an-hour-and-its-legal

St. Vincents, Salvation Army and your local pet and vets supported thrift stores are a better deal.

Also, most food bank places now take clothes, shoes, household goods and magazines/books.

Giving is always good but where you give matters, too.

It's a complicated issue.

Some workers are so disabled they can barely manage to stuff flyers into newspapers. It isn't worth businesses hiring these disabled people when an able-bodied person could get much more work done per hour. Add that to the modifications they must make to the workspaces and training managers to deal with seizures, tantrums and other issues, and they wouldn't hire the very disabled at all if they had to pay as much as a non-disabled worker is getting.

Many of the disabled on these programs live on disability anyway, so they don't technically need a "living wage." They just need to be active and not live in front of the tv.

This is not always the case and it is complicated.

Large Outdoor Blue Goodwill Sign
Organizing Goodwill Donations
Organizing Clutter ControlOctober 23, 2004
young medical professional holding sign- Blood Donors Wanted
Donating Blood
Fabric
Donating Fabric to Charity
donate sign
Donating Household Items to Charity
Donating Food
Donating Food
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 28, 2016 at 8:09:57 PM on 10.0.1.36 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.