Cooking Ham Tips

Tips for making great ham. I thought I read a thread one time on cooking ham but I can't find it.

Whenever cooking an uncooked ham, and some hams are already cooked, always boil at least twice for approx. 10 or 12 min. pouring off the water each time. that eliminates some of the salt . then either boil or bake. when you have had a meal from the ham, you can make a wonderful dish with left over ham., called Ham Viennese. here is the recipe.

Ham Viennese

approx 2 cups ham sliced in thin slicesaprox 1/2'' by 3''

1 cup celery sliced diagonally

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 level Tbsp. mustard

2 Tbsp. white wine

1 Tbsp. dill weed

1 small onion chopped

1 small box of fresh mushrooms slices on the thick side.

1 8 oz container sour cream room temp.

Put celery in pan with small amount of oil and saute until almost done , add chopped onion, and let cook until both are done. remove from pan. add a little more olive oil and cook the mushrooms. when done add the celery and onions, stir together next ad the cream of chicken soup, white wine, mustard and dillweed. stir and heat through. now add the ham strips. making sure everything is good and hot remove from heat and add the sour cream. serve over cooked rice. delicious.

Select either a smoked butt end or shank end ham at about six pounds for an average family. The butt end is the meatiest and costs a little more. Wrap ham tightly in aluminum foil. Place cut side down in a large oven proof pan with 2 inch sides. Pour about 1/2 inch of water in the pan around the ham. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven on a lower rack for 20 minutes per pound. Allow ham to cool before slicing. Left over ham can be used for sandwiches or in casseroles. Save the ham bone for making home style vegetable soup later on.

Put into a Reynolds Bag into your roaster. Pour 1 bottle of Dr. Pepper 20 oz. over the Ham. Use plastic twisty tie to close bag. Make 3 or 4 slits in plastic bag. Put into oven at 350 for 1 hour. You can use the dr pepper and ham juices to make your gravy. Very tender, caramelized ham!!! Yummy!

My husband and I have found that the best way to cook ham is the easiest. We buy large Cook's hams with the bone in, which adds lots of flavor. We put it in the oven at 325 degrees and roast it for 5 hours. No basting, no other flavors, just a wonderful moist delicious ham with a crackling on the outside. We get hams that are at least 10 lb. and have many leftovers for fried ham at breakfast, scalloped potatoes and ham, etc. Yum!

I never tried this but was told to pour a can of coke over the ham cover then cook normally..and it comes out very moist

I always cover my ham with water and simmer on the top of the stove for at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours , then I drain my ham, place it in a shallow roasting pan skin side up and bake uncovered at 350 for 1 hour basting with a glaze every 20 minutes. Remove from oven, cover and let rest for at least 20 minutes before slicing.

My grandma gave this to me when I first got married.

Place ham in pot empty one can of Sprite, 7up or Mt. Dew in pan. Cook til done. This is really fast and wonderful!!

Large Baked Ham Sliced on Cutting Board
Cooking a Ham
Food and Recipes Recipes Meats HamFebruary 25, 2007
Cooking a Turkey in Your Oven, A turkey in the oven.
Cooking Ham and Turkey in the Same Oven
Recipes Using Leftover Ham, Spiral sliced ham.
Freezing Leftover Ham
Freezing Cooked Ham
Ham Loaf
Ham Loaf Recipes
🎄