Wrap Gifts in Old Shirts

For free/cheap gift wrapping, save old red and green shirts or find them cheap at the thrift store or at yard sales throughout the year. Cut them up and use for wrapping gifts. Any buttons can be used to make cute package ties.

By vaylmer from Boston, MA

Sorry I don't get it. What is the purpose of buying an old shirt to wrap a gift if you are cutting it up? Isn't just as cheap to buy wrapping paper? and how do you secure it? I don't mean to be mean I guess I just don't get it. :(

That would be unbelievably tacky. Also, surely if you buy them at a thrift store you can buy wrapping paper at a dollar store and get more for your money.

I could see doing this if a) they were under a dollar each and b) you took the time to make reusable drawstring bags out of them. Stamping them with a glittery fabric paint might help, too. Even so, to me calico prints would be more attractive for reusable bags.

I suppose it would be tacky if you just cut them up any old way and threw a gift together. I meant use the fabric to make cloth wrapping for gifts. I have lots of old Christmas shirts people gave me that I don't like, and I also have cute I-don't-wear-them-anymore shirts that I don't want to throw out. Wrapping paper is just one more unnecessary thing filling our landfills at an unbelievable rate - A typical American generates 64 tons of waste during his/her lifetime. Wrapping paper is wasteful and is actually often made with high amounts of lead. Before you go buying brand new, unnecessary paper or fabric, try looking around your house to see if you can save something from the landfill. I often see nice quality shirts at yard sales for 25 cents. Guess where they go if no one buys them? That's right - landfills. So, this Christmas I'm going to try to NOT add to landfills by recycling and reusing. I'm going to use pinking shears or fringe fabric to remake old shirts into nice wrapping. And guess who uses old (or "vintage") fabric to wrap gifts? Martha Stewart.

This is so cute and I like to reuse beautiful fabric as wrapping for gifts also!!!! Thanks for your post! Blessings!

Robyn

I would love to see a picture, thanks for the post. :)