Getting Musty Smell Out of Leather

I have a vintage leather jacket that has a musty smell on it. What can I do to remove the aroma?

By Christopher from Stuart, FL

Whatever it is with a musty smell put it in a garbage bag with lots of crumpled newspaper. Leave it in the bag for a few days. If the smell is still there when you open the bag leave it there for another couple of days, replacing the newspaper.Use a twist tie on the bag to be certain it is securely closed.

Does anyone have any idea on how to get the musty smell out of a leather handbag?

By Robin from London, Ontario

Answers:

Getting Musty Smell Out of Leather

You might try baking soda. I've done that with an old leather purse that had a strange odor and it worked for that. I just poured it into the purse and allowed it to sit overnight. (11/12/2010)

By duckie-do

How does one clean terrible mildew/mold odor from a leather handbag? I do not take well to any chemical scents. Are there any safe products out there for this problem?

By ChungJin Yoon from Ann Arbor, MI

Answers:

Getting Musty Smell Out of Leather

I would try things in this order, (doing the next one if the previous didn't do the job):

1. Put some plain charcoal briquettes in an old sock and put them in the purse for a few days.
  2. Baking soda in a sock, same way
  3. Fresh coffee grounds (not used) in a sock

Good luck.

(08/26/2010)

By Jilson

Getting Musty Smell Out of Leather

You could hang the purse outside in the sun and fresh air for several days, pulling the lining out to hang it by if possible. Clip it to a skirt hanger and hag out. If there is a fabric lining, you could spray it with a 1/3 lemon juice to 2/3 water solution. If you can test the lemon solution on the leather and it does not harm it, spray the leather as well. Let air dry outside. (08/27/2010)

By Omanana

How do I remove the moldy smell from leather handbags?

By Pia from Laguna Beach, CA

Answers:

Getting Musty Smell Out of Leather

Here are some ideas:

1. Put some vinegar on a cloth and swab the leather with it. Leave open in the sun to dry and air out.
  2. Put an open cup of baking soda inside and leave for a week. The baking soda will absorb the smell.
  3. Put some dry coffee grounds inside and leave for a week.
  4. Spray with Lysol or other disinfectant to kill the mold. (06/11/2010)

By kemperjl

I am looking for tips for the removal of the musty smell on leather motorcycle trousers. I have tried leaving them out overnight in the cold and also sprayed them with a fine mist of watered down disinfectant, but to no avail. Can anybody help? Thanking you.

By Kenny from Belfast, Ireland

How to remove a musty smell from the inside of a leather handbag?

Karen from Belgium

Answers:

Getting Musty Smell Out of Leather

I'd use a tiny amt. of DampRid, sprigs of Mint/Basil/ and Cinnamon in a mesh veggie bag INSIDE the handbag. Many leathers are tanned in foreign nations with horse urine. Vanilla flavoring in a spot on a sponge is an alternative.

Baking soda in an open envelope might be a good thing to keep inside the handbag between uses. Be careful about mixing too many fragrances, though, but rather use the ones more pleasing to you since you have to live with it. Be prepared that the odor may be the urine and not removable, as are many dye odors not
removable.

I pray God will help you choose the best one and that it will work along with the baking soda between uses. Good luck and God bless. (09/01/2006)

By Lynda

Getting My leather jackets have a musty smell. How do i get it out?

Rose

Answers:

Getting Smell Out of Leather Jacket

Hang your jacket on a clothes line or some where that it can air out. Try to hang it in a shady spot as it is not good to hang leather in the sun. I got cigarette smell out of a leather jacket by just letting it air out for a day or two. Hope this helps.

By geri muncy (07/16/2004)

Getting Musty Smell Out of Leather Jacket

I sprayed this citrus magic air freshener on my vintage leather jacket and it seems to have gotten rid of the body oder that was there.

By Ann (08/31/2005)

I recently purchased a full length vintage leather coat. After doing a little research I found that cleaning it with a "leather lotion" by Kiwi, and then spraying it lightly with a product called "leather scent", it has restored my coat to almost brand new. Good luck.

By Anne Giroux (09/28/2005)