Egg Cartons For Seedlings

When growing small flower seeds use biodegradable egg trays. When the seedlings are ready for planting in the garden just pop the whole tray in the garden and cover tray with soil. You will have nice quick, easy and even planting and the egg trays will just break down into the soil.

I really like this idea. I am not a natural-born gardener because I can't take the heat, and the sun shining down on me makes me ill. In Colorado, where I live, we are already one mile high. Therefore the atmosphere is thin and the rays from the sun are filled with more UV.

But I am an avid seed collector because I love fruit and veggies. Now I can start the seeds indoors and have some take them outside to bury them in fresh dirt when the sprouts are ready. Great thinking.

My husband and I have always wanted to visit your country. Wishing you good success and excellent health!

June 18, 2010 Flag

Paper egg cartons work wonders for starting your seedlings! Cut off the top of the carton and place under the egg compartments. Add seedling mix and seeds. When you water, the paper carton will hold the moisture for a long time and it adds support for handling. When you're ready to transplant, just break off each section. You can plant the biodegradable carton sections, with the seedling, to reduce transplanting shock.

By Laurie from Fairbanks, AK

Egg Cartons For Seedlings

I used to love using the paper cartons! Unfortunately I haven't seen them in years now. So what I do is use the styrofoam ones. Only before putting the dirt in the cups I poke some holes in the bottoms of the cups with a fork. This allows for drainage. I cut the top of the carton off and place it under the bottom to catch the drainage. (03/10/2010)

By Cricketnc

July 2, 2008 Flag

Collect the cardboard egg containers during the winter and use them to start your seeds indoors in. Cover them with plastic wrap, venting them a bit until the plants start to come up.

By Sherry from Silverdale, WA

Egg Cartons For Seedings

The best thing about this tip is that the individual egg cups can be cup apart with a sturdy pair of scissors and the whole thing can be planted, much like a peat pot. This will avoid disturbing tiny seedlings' roots and give your plants a head start.

Don't try it with the styrofoam ones, tho. The plastic won't disintegrate like the paper. (04/09/2007)

By sara

Seed starts in Egg Carton
Starting Seeds in Egg Cartons
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsJune 18, 2010
Seedlings in a egg carton.
Uses for Egg Cartons
Egg Carton Pumpkin
Crafts Using Egg Cartons
Starting Seedlings
Starting Seedlings
aster seedlings
Keeping Seedlings From Dying