Keep Bread Mold from Developing

When the weather becomes hot and humid, we always had problems with our soft breads getting moldy. Since it is only my husband and I, bread lasts longer than when we had our kids at home. The pantry closet area, where the bread is stored, does not have air conditioning and gets very warm. We do not like to refrigerate the bread; it gets too dry. I now put a clean and dry paper towel under the bread in it's bag when storing it in the pantry closet. This seems to make the bread not get moldy. When I remove the paper towel, it feels damp. We use soft white, soft multi-grain, and rye breads.

In the past, I would never freeze whole loaves of bread, because we did not like the results when defrosted. Through trial and error, I now double bag and freeze whole loaves of bread. I place the paper towel in before freezing. I defrost the bread in the refrigerator, leaving the paper towel inside. Before putting the bread in the pantry closet, I remove the bread from the refrigerator, place it on a cooling rack, and let it come to room temperature.

When we buy the harder type rolls, like Kaiser rolls and bagels, we store them in our electric oven. While we still may lose some to mold if they get too old, they last longer in the oven. Also, I keep the rolls and/or bagels on a cookie sheet in the oven so it is easier to pull them out when we need them. I do have a habit of checking inside my oven before turning it on. So please remember, if you use this tip, check inside your oven first before using it.

This may seem like a lot to go through to keep bread for two people; however, there were times when we needed bread only to find out it was moldy. It became such an inconvenience just to run out for bread.

By mkymlp from NE, PA

Just a hint; since the closet is not air conditioned, leave the door opened at night and let it air out while you sleep.

I have been freezing bread for over three years now. It can be the freshest, or day-old--it makes no difference--because the trick is in thawing it.

Simply remove it from the freezer and place it in the dish drainer or something that holds the loaf off the counter. The loaf cannot be placed directly on the counter. The air must be able to circulate under the loaf.

When it is completely thawed it will be like just out of the oven.

When the loaf thaws lying on the counter the bottom will be tough and dry and the entire loaf will dry out within one day.

Great! We've been wondering about this problem for a long time now. Thanks.

darlene

st. louis, mo

Long ago I learned how to prevent mold on bread that I made. Both my Irish Mother and her Irish mother and my East Prussian aunt always bought linen napkins. They used these to wrap each new loaf in. For over twenty years I have done this with the bread made in my bread machine.

I slice the entire loaf, then portion it out in 6 to 10 slice portions. I wrap these portions in the linen napkins, and place that into a large, individual zip-lok type storage bag, and place one such package in my refrigerator for daily use. The rest go into my freezer. I also defrost these already sliced bread portions in my refrigerator.

I have also used the linen wraps around an entire non-sliced loaf and stored it in the plastic bags and frozen them. These wraps do not have to be 100 % linen, just as long as there is some linen in the fabric contents. Fabric stores have linen by the yard and one could just cut that material to the size of a napkin. That way they can be laundered more easily. I am a seamstress, also, but store-bought napkins do have the edges finished if one does not sew. Granny Beth

Someone suggested that putting a stalk of celery in with the loaf will also deter mold.

That is why I only buy food with preservatives, especially bread

I freeze bread in packs of 4 slices per pack. Double bag it.

Thank you. Still have a teenager at home but great tip.

The way to freeze bread and rolls, is to wrap then in foil. and freeze, when needed put in oven at 300 untill thawed, bread is just like just baked.

Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsSeptember 8, 2010
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Preventing Mold On Berries, Moldy Strawberry
Preventing Mold On Fresh Berries
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Picture of garden mulch.
Getting Rid of Mold on Mulch
🎉
🎄