Keeping Bugs Away When Sitting Outdoors

Category Bugs
Fly on Blade of Grass
Bugs buzzing and swarming around can make your time outdoors anything but enjoyable. This is a guide about keeping bugs away when sitting outdoors.

The weather is going to get warmer and we'll be spending time up north which means you can't be outside without gnats and mosquitoes bothering and getting in your face. Any suggestions to keep them away from my face would be appreciated. Bug spray doesn't work.

grammamre from Charlotte, MI

The lemon joy on white plate water u said u never used it then at end of statement u say works super WHOA I realize thrifty Fun may not b ur pg r whatever there is no Fun in fighting insects n t like perhaps I should accept what's posted here w/title thrifty fun just sying contradictions (fun) n all.

Should you be drinking anything, bugs seem to be attracted to what people drink, put a complete total cover on the drink, no holes, no straws or slurpee lids.

Just Google drink container protector and you'll find many. One of the best is made in the USA at Pittsburgh Pa.

Does anyone have an idea to make me less attractive to biting gnats/noseeums? I spend a lot of free time outdoors gardening and playing with my canine babies. These gnats are brutal. They get you before you know they are around. Living here, mosquitoes have always been a problem, but I believe the gnats might actually be worse. Help!

By Amy

I can tell you what does not work, that's dryer sheets and off.

What ratio did you mix or just use straight

What will keep gnats away from my kids and I this baseball season? The gnats seem to be immune to everything I use.

By Taychahan from Port Wentworth, GA

Try vanilla extract. A little elderly man told me this and I was skeptical. Everyone I tell is skeptical but I'm the only one at the outdoor party without gnats. I put some on a cotton ball and rub it on my cheeks and neck. Works for thirty minutes or so. Test a patch of your skin for sensitivity first.

Does help somewhat but not entirely. When the gnats are really bad, I'm afraid they are the winners at the ballgame one is trying to sit thru.

I live in southeastern NC and lately the outdoors has been overrun with small black mosquito-like bugs. They come around in a swarm. Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of them? Even just taking clothes off the clothes line or just walking to the mail box is a battle. I've never seen them this bad and I've lived here all my life.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

They are very similar to gnats, but much bigger. Wonder if they are simply bigger this year, just like the pollen is more of a problem than normal? They are driving me nuts tho! And yes they swarm, but these aren't swarming just in the late afternoon/early evening the way gnats normally do. These are swarming 24/7! Crazy! Sure hope somebody can help me!

LOL well sounds like the NH state bird has migrated south. We call them black flies and they bite and draw blood. They usually last about a month up here then the skeeters come out. I prefer the skeeters! LOL

Is there any tips for keeping bees and wasps away from you when your outside? I'm a stay at home mom. The kiddies and I do a lot of outdoor things in the summer months. We don't want to be chasing bugs away. Any tips?

By k.sowders

Answers:

Keeping Bees Away

To bee honest children have to learn that if they are outside there will bee bugs. You would bee better off teaching them to react sensibly when insects are around, ie not screaming and waving their arms around. Explain how valuable they are to the environment, do a project, do some craft. Insects are the most numerous animal on the planet, you can't get rid of them all, so don't waste time and energy trying to. (04/10/2010)

By mrs christmas

Keeping Bees Away

I sure don't enjoy sitting outside with bees and/or wasps flying around the area I am in. For some reason the apartment building I live in seems to attract them. It isn't a large number but when you have a small patio and there are 3-4 wasps acting like kamakazee pilots the whole time you sit out there it isn't real enjoyable, and in good old SD in the evening there is mosquitos and gnats ot put up with. (04/10/2010)

By redhatterb

Keeping Bees Away

Yes and remember that bees are the one that pollinate many flowers that we rely on for fruit, vegetables, herbs etc.
Sadly and mysteriously, the honey bee is in great decline worldwide.

Here's a quick guide to bees and wasps. http://www.ebeehoney.com/beeid.html

"Wasps are thinner, can be aggressive, and interested in food and garbage. Bees are generally plumper, mild mannered and interested in flowers, not your lunch or garbage can." - eBeeHoney.com (04/10/2010)

By HeatherManson

RE: Keeping Bees Away

Keeping Bees Away

You can use herbal bug spray (like Burt's bees, safe for kids). I dilute it even, if it is too greasy or thick. I put it in a spray bottle and use on me and my dog whenever we go out in the spring and summertime. (04/10/2010)

By JenlovesChocochip

Keeping Bees Away

Bees and wasps are not particularly interested in people. Bees are attracted to certain flowers, so if you avoid those areas, you should be fine. Wasps and hornets can be aggressive if you invade their territory. There is nothing that will repel them if you are too near their nest. Again, avoidance is the best policy. If they build their nests in your yard, you can have those removed. (04/12/2010)

By louel53

Keeping Bees Away

Well, insects may be the most numerous thing on the planet, but some of us not only do not want them swarming around us and our small children, but some of us are actually very allergic to bee, wasp, and hornet stings, so bee-ing funny does not help.

I am very allergic to stings, and if stung, I could not only stop breathing, but have a seizure, and with two small special needs kids at home, I am interested in how my kids can play outside on a beautiful summer's day and enjoy themselves, and not have to be cooped up inside.

I would like to see if I could buy some netting or screen material in large quantities, and make a wrap around for my porch. We have a large covered, but not screened in deck that provides shade, but no protection from the many bees, wasps and such that love to buzz around. I should also mention, I rent, so anything I do come up with cannot permanently change the look of the place. So, if there is anyplace that sells odd sizes or maybe gives discounts, perhaps we could go that way. (04/12/2010)

By KLS8800

Keeping Bees Away

I too am highly allergic (could stop breathing) to stings too but I've learned over the decades to simply stay away from the areas they swarm at the times of day they swarm. If there is just an independent cuss or two or three or four simply don't panic, sit/stand calmly and quickly swat them with the back of your hand away from you when they get near enough to you. I actually had one land on my lip once and because I just remained calm, thought it through and swatted the little bugger away (away and not in to you is the keyword) it was gone, gone, gone and didn't return. Our fear is what causes the stinging in 99.99% of the time!

Check out your local Home Depot type store for netting and just nail it to the porch enclosure. That's easily removable when you move.

And Mrs. Christmas gave you excellent advice and was bee-ing clever in the wording and not smart aleck funny. (04/12/2010)

By Deeli

We were almost driven crazy Thursday at a school baseball game by the gnats or no see 'ems. At one point my husband said he was about to roll around on the ground to fight them off! We used spray more than once and we just passed the cans around, but it was like they just waited for the air to clear and our skin to dry and then they attacked again. What can we do?

By Sissy from Alabama

Answers:

Keeping Bugs Away When Sitting Outdoors

Best thing I have found is Deet, available in just about every place. Big box stores, hardware, Walmart, drug stores, etc. (03/24/2009)

By foxrun41

Keeping Bugs Away When Sitting Outdoors

Take dryer sheets with you. Rub them on your clothing then leave them laying near you. They really help. (03/24/2009)

By theseamstress

Keeping Bugs Away When Sitting Outdoors

As far as mosquitoes go, if you hang a bottle of beer with just some in the bottom, 1/4 cup, then they will go and drink themselves dizzy and then drown. Put it in a tree that is a little ways away from where you will be. (03/24/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Keeping Bugs Away When Sitting Outdoors

Put cheap antiseptic mouthwash (like Listerine) in a spray bottle and spray around you and on you. It is supposed to kill the bugs, especially mosquitoes. Be sure to use the yellow "nasty tasting" mouthwash and not the minty, sugary kind. (03/27/2009)

By plwp12

Will bleach repel bees?

By Remy081 from NY

Answers:

This honestly works! To rid your outside areas of bees: Fill to 1/2 full a clear plastic sandwich bag. Toss a shiny penny inside the bag then tie the bag tightly shut with a piece of twine.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.