Browsing: Keeping Bugs Away When Sitting Outdoors

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Bugs Away When Sitting Outdoors

Bugs buzzing and swarming around can make your time outdoors anything but enjoyable. This is a guide about keeping bugs away when sitting outdoors.

Fly on Blade of Grass
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 13, 2008 Flag

The weather is going to get warmer and we'll be spending time up north which means you can't be outside without gnats and mosquitoes bothering and getting in your face. Any suggestions to keep them away from my face would be appreciated. Bug spray doesn't work.

grammamre from Charlotte, MI

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I make a cup of chamomile tea and then use the wet bag to dab on my face and ears where I don't want chemicals. Actually, I use this for all exposed skin and I find it works better than sprays.

Cantate

Don't use any shampoos, conditioners (such as Fructis), perfumes or colognes with a floral or fruity scent. They are attracted to the scent.

I can't recall where I found this... but there's a note with the original that it works really well. I haven't had a chance yet to use it.

Mosquito Deterrent recipe

Put some water in a white dinner plate and add just a couple of drops of Lemon Fresh Joy dishwashing soap. Set the dish on a porch or patio. Not sure what attracts them, the lemon smell, the white color, or what, but mosquitoes flock to it, and drop dead, or fall into the water, or on the floor within about 10 feet. Works just super!

Use a repellant with Deet. Home remedies and repellants without it or in small concentration are a waste. Deep Woods Off is a good brand.

I live in northern Saskatchewan, and can testify to it's effectiveness.

The lemon joy on white plate water u said u never used it then at end of statement u say works super WHOA I realize thrifty Fun may not b ur pg r whatever there is no Fun in fighting insects n t like perhaps I should accept what's posted here w/title thrifty fun just sying contradictions (fun) n all.

June 21, 2011 Flag

Does anyone have an idea to make me less attractive to biting gnats/noseeums? I spend a lot of free time outdoors gardening and playing with my canine babies. These gnats are brutal. They get you before you know they are around. Living here, mosquitoes have always been a problem, but I believe the gnats might actually be worse. Help!

By Amy

Ty Avon Skin So Soft. It has a good rep as an insect repellent

"Deet" 100% is supposed to be the best (but only for Adults). It can be bought at camping supply stores, or the likes of Dunham's. The little bugger's love to go to the top of your body, that of coarse being your head. But they don't seem to notice it's actually your head, just going to the top of the body. We used to raise our hand in the air when encountering a large group of them. And they always circle around the hand. This results in a sore arm after awhile, but helps for the short term.

Again 100% Deet can be bought in a small, 2 to 4oz container. You'll also notice that it's the main ingredient for sprays like "OFF".

I used vanillia and had great results . the bugs fliew around but did not land on me.

Thanks so much.

I can tell you what does not work, that's dryer sheets and off.

April 13, 2010 Flag

What will keep gnats away from my kids and I this baseball season? The gnats seem to be immune to everything I use.

By Taychahan from Port Wentworth, GA

What I use at home is table salt pour a thin line outside each doorway; they will not cross into house. If your outside you can but 7dust 5% and rub on your skin or the child's it's harmless been having it used on me all my life & I'm 56 I still use it when I go outside in the evenings to keep away mosquitoes. It also works on pets for fleas.

If a gnat is a mosquito, I use Skin So Soft. A product of Avon. This smooths the skin and for some reason, the bugs don't like it. I am not sure if Avon is in the states it is in Canada.

Gnats can be impervious to most remedies. But you can try bathing and shampooing your hair with peppermint castile soap and chewing peppermint gum. That's what I do when I go camping and the bugs leave me alone.

Try vanilla extract. A little elderly man told me this and I was skeptical. Everyone I tell is skeptical but I'm the only one at the outdoor party without gnats. I put some on a cotton ball and rub it on my cheeks and neck. Works for thirty minutes or so. Test a patch of your skin for sensitivity first.

Does help somewhat but not entirely. When the gnats are really bad, I'm afraid they are the winners at the ballgame one is trying to sit thru.

April 6, 2010 Flag

I live in southeastern NC and lately the outdoors has been overrun with small black mosquito-like bugs. They come around in a swarm. Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of them? Even just taking clothes off the clothes line or just walking to the mail box is a battle. I've never seen them this bad and I've lived here all my life.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

Could they be gnats? They are harmless but such a nuisance. When we lived in DC area, they would swarm, usually around late afternoon/early evening. Not sure what you can do about them though

They are very similar to gnats, but much bigger. Wonder if they are simply bigger this year, just like the pollen is more of a problem than normal? They are driving me nuts tho! And yes they swarm, but these aren't swarming just in the late afternoon/early evening the way gnats normally do. These are swarming 24/7! Crazy! Sure hope somebody can help me!

LOL well sounds like the NH state bird has migrated south. We call them black flies and they bite and draw blood. They usually last about a month up here then the skeeters come out. I prefer the skeeters! LOL

August 17, 2010 Flag

Is there any tips for keeping bees and wasps away from you when your outside? I'm a stay at home mom. The kiddies and I do a lot of outdoor things in the summer months.

April 13, 2010 Flag

We were almost driven crazy Thursday at a school baseball game by the gnats or no see 'ems. What can we do?

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control BugsJanuary 14, 2013
cover tea drink
Keep Bugs Out Of Your Drink
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Itching from a bug bite.
Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 14, 2016 at 1:06:07 PM on 10.0.2.123 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.