Gift Ideas for Mother's Birthday

My mother's birthday is next month. I have about 5 thousand Indian rupees. (My grandmother has a lot of money she can give, how much ever I want.) Money is not a problem.

A little about my mother: she is not interested to go to the spa, she hates jewelery like anything. She is on a diet so she doesn't like chocolates, is totally not interested in flowers and pictures.
I am buying her a cake. I thought of buying her a new pair of shoes and a set of chudies (an Indian dress). Does anyone have any ideas? (Her birthday is on May 4th 2011) and date of submission is 6th April 2011.
Cheers!

By Riya from Karanataka, India

Has she ever expressed interest in learning something like a hobby, etc? Since she is on a diet, she will need something to distract her in a happy way, from the habit of eating. Then, wearing her new shoes, and outfit, she could go and use a gift certificate for a class, or supplies for a new activity in her life.

Is she depressed? She seems to have cut the things most people like out of her life. How about a dinner where all the family gets to gether to honor her birthday. If she isn't pleased with that I think she might need to talk to someone.

Does she have any old friends that she has not seen in a while that may not be in the area that she lives? If so, maybe you could either arrange a trip for her to visit with them or pay to have them come to visit with her!

Anonymous

The best and most important gift you can give your mom is you! Spend as much of your time with her as possible on her birthday and simply thank her for being your mom and tell her that you love her!

Perhaps you both could make your shared favorite meal together (even if she is on a diet she would most likely have fun doing it even if she only eats a nibble of it), go for a walk, watch the sunrise or sunset together and talk, laugh, sing, smile and hug! Material gifts no matter how expensive are really, after all is said and done, absolutely nothing compared to sharing the gift of your heart and soul for the one you love who brought you into life!

It is difficult without knowing your mother's age. Does she have any hobbies that you could contribute to? Other possibilities are tickets to a play or movie, a DVD of her favorite movie, or a CD of her favorite group. Books are good as are puzzles. Does she like make-up? An out-of-season favorite fruit would be nice. Perfume, lotions, scarves, and as Deeli said, your self and time, spending the day with her.

I'm not familiar with Indian customs or what may or may not be available, so I hope I've mentioned some things that are available.

I always think just plain old time between a mother and daughter is vital, no matter what the age, religion or culture. Think of what just the two of you can do together and since money is not an object, I'd think of tickets somewhere for the two of you. You can both get all dressed up and look terrific. Is there a play or music you both can enjoy? Is getting your hair done acceptable to you both? Can it be done together if you make the appointment somewhere?

You sure know what your mom doesn't like-what does she like? Everyone likes something! How about a set of homemade coupons, 1 per month with things like a movie or play or concert, a trip to a botanical garden or zoo, a favorite dish she likes home-cooked by you, a lunch out, car wash or detail (if she drives), etc. a new book.

You should buy her some bangles and you can give her some homemade cards. Or you can take her out and have a mother/daughter kind of day and let her buy what she wants and then pay for it.