Car Sickness Remedies

I'm going to Wales by car in a few weeks and it takes 4 hours. During long journeys I feel sick and really irritated. Is there anything to stop this. ie, certain food or drink or something?

By Danielle from London

There is over the counter pills for that. It would be either dramamine, or if you can't find it, Benadryl is basically the same thing. I wouldn't recommend this if you are driving though as it can make you very drowsy.

Anonymous

This sounds weird to me, but I have been told that it works. Supposedly, if you read or concentrate on things inside the car as opposed to things outside, even though your body is moving, your mind believes that you are standing still, so you get car sick. The cure is supposed to be not to read, etc. in the car, but to look out the window at the scenery often so that your mind will know that you are in motion. I know, sounds crazy, but worth a try.

Ginger (the spice) works. About 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon at a time.

Always make sure you eat and drink before a car trip. Strangely enough, an empty stomach contributes to the nausea.

Anonymous

Definitely looking out the car window at least now and again! It has to do with vision. When I was a little girl I got car sick every single time we went on any journey longer than about a half hour until I was able to sit tall enough to look out the window! A little fresh air from the windows slightly down helps too ;-) Other suggestions here like food on the tummy before the journey and a Dramamine tablet on hand just in case are good too.

Eat lightly or lighter foods before traveling (toast, fresh fruit, soup). Heavy foods such as eggs will just sit in the stomach and cause vomiting. Sit in the front seat of the vehicle, you will be less likely to get car sickness than if you are traveling in the back seat; you will be less likely to get it if you are driving. Try to stay out of the sun, it seems to intensify the symptoms. Studies have shown that ginger relieves nausea as well as, if not better than, the prescription meds. I buy crystallized (candied) ginger and eat some continually before and during the trip. It works anytime you feel nausea: car sickness, the flu, the beginning symptoms of an illness, morning sickness, etc. You can eat fresh ginger, drink ginger tea, take ginger capsules, munch on candied ginger, etc, or do a few of each. Just begin before starting the trip and maintain it during the trip. Try to relax, I find that if I am uptight about the trip, the tenseness makes my stomach feel worse. Make sure you get air/ keep the air conditioning on, sitting in a warm environment makes matters worse. Breathe the cool air in deeply. Be positive, it will be a good trip.

Some travel sickness pills are quite strong. I don't travel well in a bus or in the back seat of a car and find that Joyrides (for children) are good, with no nasty side effects.

Here in Canada the product to use is Gravol. Ask your druggist for a recommendation.

Don't eat bananas before traveling. Apparently there is something in them that causes travel sickness!

Also, sit in the front seat, if possible. When I was pregnant I used an accu-pressure cuff, found it by the Dramamine. It's just a knit cuff with a small button inside, you measure 2 fingers up from the wrist and make sure the button is on that point. Sounds weird, but with approval from OB/GYN, I got through first trimester, both times, with little or no nausea! The box said it was good for travel and sea nausea too.

Do you do things where you lower your head while you travel, i.e. read, do crafts etc.? Much of motion sickness can have to do with your inner ear. Ride in the front seat if possible, look at the horizon as much as possible and relax. If you are reluctant to go totally over the counter meds, try the new Gravol that contains ginger or use ginger caps to prevent nausea.