Sunless Tanning Products Causing Itching

Many consumers are allergic to ingredients in certain topical beauty products including sunless tanning formulas. This is a guide about sunless tanning products causing itching.

March 16, 2007 Flag

Is there a product out there for sunless tanning lotion that does not cause itching? I've read that there are many others that have experienced the same reaction that I get after applying the lotion. There must be something out there.

Thanks,
Vanwert

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know if there is a product that doesn't cause itching. I just know that clear back in 1992 I used some sunless tanning lotion and ended up with hives. To this day, I still get them regularly any time there is too much heat near my skin. Pretty sucky deal. I do have fair skin, so that may be a factor. I have even gone to an allergist; has me on antihistamines to provide some relief. It's now 2013, and I am still affected by something I put on my skin clear back in '92.

March 16, 2007 Flag

Has anyone ever had a problem with itching after using Self-tanning products? I have tried several and always seem to have the same problem. I am wondering what is the common ingredient that is in all self tanners that must be causing the problem. And also, are there any that may be for sensitive skin?

SAM from FL

Answers:

Yes, I have had problems with sunless tanning products. Try a different brand. You might also think about when you are applying the lotion. If you have just taken a warm bath or shower, your pores may be open and more likely to cause a reaction. You might also apply body lotion, let it soak in and dry before applying the tanning lotion. I have been using Banana Boat Sunless tanning lotion with success using these methods. (05/06/2005)

By Jennifer

I have that problem also. I now use Jergen's Natural Glow. You have to put it on daily, but there is no burning sensations. Plus, it is lotion so it leaves your skin silkie smooth. (05/09/2005)

By Felicia

I used self tanners for years and loved them. But about 4 years ago my legs started to itch after I applied the product and now I can't find a single one that I don't react to. It must be the active ingredient, DHA, that causes it. I tried The Body Shop brand which uses an extract from black walnut shells as a dye, but I still react. This really frustrates me, as spray on nylons are a pain and I don't like the look of my bare white legs sprinkled with a few spider veins. The self tanners really looked great. The only thing that changed 4 years ago is that I started taking Zocor for high cholesterol. Could this possibly cause this reaction? A salesperson at Sephora thought it could. I hate to invest any more money in another self tanner that makes me itch, but if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful. (05/16/2005)

By MBC

I also have had itching from sunless tanners. Like MBC related I also had used them for years and never had itching. I think it could be related to medicines. I am now on meds that I was not on when the tanners did not cause itching. The itching only seems to be on my legs. I can do all other parts of the body with no problem. I have noticed they don't get quite as itchy if I do not shave right before applying the self tanner. I have done the treatment of a moisture lotion first and then the tanner but still get the itch. The Jergen's natural glow sounds like it may help. Banana Boat sunless looks great but also caused the itching. (05/23/2005)

By Megan

I have developed pretty severe itching (especially on my legs) from using self-tanning products. I have used these products for several years, with no adverse reaction until this year. I have not started any new meds which could be causing a reaction. My theory is that some of us tend to develop an allergic reaction (itching) to the products. Wish there was a solution. (06/30/2005)

By pml

I have tried just about every brand of self tanner and I ALWAYS get itching but only on my chins and I put it all over my body. I wonder why most woman are getting the itching only on their legs? (08/04/2005)

By Bev

I have had SEVERE itching on my legs and whole body when I used ANY kind of Sunless tanners (including the spray on). But last week I found one that doesn't do it because it doesn't have the DHA in it. It's called "Jiffy Tan" and it's by Benefit cosmetics. It only last one day because it comes off with soap and water but I really liked the color and the best part NO ITCHING. (12/04/2005)

By melisssf

Jergen's Natural Glow has caused the "shin itch" as well as a milder itch with the new Dove product. If any has another option, let me know. Thanks! (03/20/2006)

By Janice

I also developed a reaction after using Bath and Body tanners for years. I just tried the Jergen's Natural Glow, and after 2 days, the same thing happened. It is miserable. (04/05/2006)

By Kim.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

May 25, 2010 Flag

Is there a product out there for sunless tanning lotion that does not cause itching?

I've read that there are many others that have experienced the same reaction that I
get after applying the lotion. There must be something out there.

Thanks.
Vanwert

Answers:

The only product that doesn't make me itch is Tan Towels. They dry quickly and don't have that really awful smell.
(03/24/2007)

By profile=thr896379">Bogus52

Well, I have been using Lancome for quite a while. It's a bit more expensive, but I have never had a reaction. Then I switched to Clarin's because I heard great things about it. They were right, the tan looked fantastic. Then I got hives all over my entire body where I applied it. Classic allergic reaction. I don't think it's the DHA with me, I think it's the cetyl alcohol. After doing some research I found that alcohol is not in the Lancome products at all and it's not in the Clarin's face product either. I liked the Clarin's look better, but it's not worth the itching!

Definitely go with lancome. (04/02/2007)

By Lindsey

I am your typical Celtic looking girl, red hair, blue eyes, and pale skin not to mention the freckles. I rarely tan and love self tans. I personally have never found
self tanning products to be a problem on my skin, but my friend has with St Tropez
self tan lotion, we are the tanning queens! That product is the only one we have had a problem with. Try Fake Bake (my favourite) or St Tropez Mouse.

Also shave or wax at least 24-48 hours prior to treatment, this will allow your pores to close. This helps with not getting the tan in your pores and looking
spotty, and also exfoliate 24-48 hours prior to treatment, this will help remove the dead skin cells on the surface. I find that if I haven't exfoliated for a few days
my legs itch. I hope this helps, don't give up on the self tans they are so much safer than the sun and give the same fantastic results. (06/26/2007)

By Victoria

Try Neutrogena Sheer Tint Temporary Sunless Spray. It gives a natural tan, but
washes off in the shower. No DHA and leaves a beautiful tan with no blotches. I too had a terrible itchy/hive reaction to the DHA this year. They must be putting more
of this ingredient in products, as it has never bothered me before. (06/10/2008)

By Denise

I too had an allergic reaction to several self tanners all of a sudden. But now that I have stopped putting them on with latex gloves, the itching and rash have disappeared. The gloves were not the ones that came with the tanner. Those eventually tore so I bought a pack of latex at the store. Make sure that you are not allergic to latex gloves. (02/28/2009)

By Cole

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care TanningNovember 17, 2016
Woman tanning next to a pool.
Homemade Tanning Oil Recipes
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies
A child's feet sitting on a toilet during potty training.
Potty Training Your Child
A woman putting on sunscreen.
Fixing Streaks From Sunless Tanner
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 5:34:57 PM on 10.0.1.21 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.