Growing: Calla Lily

Botanical Name:

Zamtedescjoa

Life Cycle:

perennial bulb

Planting Time:

spring to early summer; plant tubers in fall if using as houseplants

Height:

18" to 24"

Exposure:

full sun to light shade

Soil:

rich, moist, well-drained soil; tolerates areas too moist for other bulbs

Hardiness:

hardy to frost-free zones; bulbs can be dug up and stored over winter in cooler zones

Bloom Time:

late spring

Flower:

variety of colors

Foliage:

green

Propagation:

Seeds, division in early spring, basil cuttings in summer.

Suggested Use:

beds, borders, bouquets and flower arrangements

Growing Hints:

Calla lilies need to be planted deeply for their size. Plant them at a depth of 4 inches, spacing each bulb 12 inches apart. In cooler zones, start bulbs indoors in late winter and transplant them in the spring when danger of frost has passed. Apply a bulb fertilizer monthly during the active growing season. Calla lilies can also be grown as house plants if placed in a sunny window. Most Calla lilies need a rest period after flowering, so gradually withhold water until the leaves die back and let plants rest for 2 to 3 months before resuming watering to encourage new growth.

Interesting Facts:

Calla lilies are often used in wedding bouquets because their meaning signifies magnificence and beauty.

i would like to see a diagram of the specific parts of this lily

Planted seeds from pods and they are all growing. Will these develop tubers and will they bloom this year?

I'd also like to see a specific diagram of the calla lily.

How long does it take before the calla begins to sprout after planting? I planted my Royal Blue indoors to transplant outside aftr danger of frost has past. It has been about 6 weeks and no sprout. What up. I am in St. Paul, Minnesota and we have had a slow spring with little sun. Pot are however in a warm room.

Thanks

For the person in St Paul, I spoke with a neighbor this morning and she doesn't plant her Calla Lilies until May. You might have started a bit early.

I am wondering, my blooms turned to big pods of seed. Can I use them for new plant's and will they bloom?

If calla lilys are planted outdoors, should you leave them in the ground during the winter or bring them inside? I live in Memphis and have frost during the winter.

If calla lilies are planted outdoors, should you leave them in the ground during the winter or bring them inside? I live in Memphis and have frost during the winter.

I was given a calla lily for Christmas last year as a bulb. I had it outside this summer in a pot, I brought it inside for winter. I noticed this week that there are water droplets at the tip of each leaf. Is this due to being over watered? Or is this normal? I never saw such a thing.

Growing Calla Lilies
Growing Calla Lilies
Home and Garden Gardening Growing BulbsFebruary 14, 2006
Closeup of lily-of-the-valley flowers against green of leaves and blue sky.
Growing Lily-of-the-Valley
Alstroemeria Flowers
Growing Alstroemeria
Droopy Peace Lily
Droopy Peace Lily
White Rain Lily
Growing Rain Lily (Fairy Lily)
🎄