Type It Out to Remember

I have a tip for trying to remember things. After being downsized like so many of us these days, I went back to school to retrain for a different job. I found that if I re-type something I really needed to remember, it not only honed my keyboarding skills, but helped me to remember what I read. Once I typed it out word for word, it was sort of engraved in my memory! Works great for me. I hope other can get some good out of it!

By Su from Sandusky, OH

Top Comment

When studying, I do something very similar. But rather than typing the info verbatim, I summarize and paraphrase it. (Basically, I act as if I were an editor assigned the task of condensing the book.) I think this is even more effective than typing it verbatim, because you're putting the material in your own words.

As an actress who had had to memorize parts in plays - I have found that copying out the dialogue of my part was always helpful in memorization.

I've been doing this for years - I used to write, but now that I'm visually impaired, I type whatever I need to remember.

When I was learning the screen-reader program I now use, I would type the instructor's teachings as we went along, and I've added to the original files as I've learned on my own. Not only has it helped me fix the instructions in my own mind, I've been able to help at least two other people I can think of, who also use the same program.

So... I'm helping myself and "paying it forward," too.

I agree!

When I make a shopping list, I sometimes forget to take it with me (go figure! LOL) and just the fact that I wrote things down helps me to remember in the store.

When I get home, I check, and most of the time I have gotten everything that was on the list!