Ants In Stored Cereal

I have a pantry and I went to get some fruit loops out that was in a zipper bag and it had a lot of small ants in the bag. They appeared to be ants as they were rather small. Where did they come from and how do I get rid of them? Thanks in advance.

Mary from Mendenhall, MS

Those 'ants' are probably weevils. These tiny beetles love cereal, flour, pancake mix or any other grain product. They are known carriers of E. coli so immediately toss anything that is even suspicious! You will have to thoroughly clean the containers. Use bleach, alcohol or anything that will kill germs, bacteria, etc.

Ants HATE cinnamon

I TRIED THE CINNAMON THING,IT DIDN'T WORK FOR ME

weevils hate peppermint or spearmint. Get rid of everything that is infested,then buy peppermint chewing gum. Take only the paper wrapper off the sticks of gum, tear them in half and spread them around inside your cupboards.( especially the ones that contain cereals,pasta or grains of any sort. You only need to change the gum about twice a year. It really works. I know from experience.!!!!

When recently I went to Greece, The Neighbors came over for coffee. My friend started laughing at me and making jokes to her family, about, me putting my cereals, pastas, flour, cake mixes, etc. in my Refrigerator. THANK GOD for my second refrigerator! One year, a while back, I went to my pantry there were thousands of ants, bo wheebal, those stupid lil' bugs that look like midget worms, were in my cereals etc. I threw them all out. I like to stock up on things like that. You never know when you don't have enough money, well, my neighbor whom we share the trash bin, noticed a bunch of cereals and extras, WHY? He asked, BUGS! I said. Understand? So, I say stick them in the Refrigerator. You'll have NO PROBLEMS. Make room in your Frig! It's worth not having the pain of losing all that food. Eleni M.

My mother had a rule of thumb she stored food by: If it doesn't come in a can or a bottle, it goes in the fridge!

Mine is similar to hers but not exactly the same: If it doesn't come in a bottle or a can, it goes in a Lock & Lock container (they now have generics that are equally as good). If it can't go in one of those, it goes in the fridge.

Lock & Lock (and the generics) have a tight fitting seal around the top that not only keeps the bugs out, but also keeps the freshness in. I have brown sugar in one that I've had for 6 months and when I pick the container up it moves around just like it did the day I first put it in there. No hard clumps at all.

They can be a bit pricey, but I've noticed lately that the Dollar store has started carrying the generics too and have bought several from there and been just as satisfied.

photo of ants eating a scrap of onion
Getting Rid of Ants in the Kitchen
Home and Garden Pest Control Pantry PestsSeptember 26, 2006
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
spoonful of sugar
Can You Use Sugar Contaminated By Ants?
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎉
🎄