Caring for Parakeets

I have 2 parakeets and when I talk to them they move their beaks like they are talking back to me, but nothing comes out. They will also cock their heads to the side. What does that mean?

By Kayla from Miles City, MT

Your birds are attentive to your voice and recognize you with the tilting of the head while being spoken to. Not making any sounds with the movement of the beak doesn't mean they won't make any noise at some point; only they may be trying to imitate the sounds they pick up on and aren't successful at it yet. Keep talking to them and say the same phrase repeatedly and maybe you'll get that response you're hoping for some day. I own three parakeets and they love music. Try playing music to get them singing.

Caring for Parakeets
Caring for Parakeets
Pets BirdsJanuary 3, 2010
Cat and Dog Sitting Together
Caring for Your Spayed or Neutered Pet
Training a Parakeet
Training a Parakeet
Avocados on a Tree
Caring for an Avocado Tree
Deaf Dog
Caring for a Deaf Dog