Selling Digital Photos

Can anyone give me photography advice. I am a beginning photographer and want to know how to make money with digital images. How to make them into cards, wall art, post cards, and maybe enhance them on the computer. Any advice will be very helpful.

Nelliemary from West Virginia

A good FREE photo-imaging editor for the beginner is Picasa from Google. You might also check out photojojo on the net for tips. Wander around the net there is LOTS of info and even freeware -

I got Photoshop off ebay for about $40. also get a used tutorial book off lets you upload your images and get a commission if someone purchases them.

uplad your pics online to or other similar site and pick up prints in store for cheap.

Practice practice practice and study study study.

Ask someone you know to sit for a portrait session with you then make prints for your portfolio. Get a free website at Good luck!

February 19, 20090 found this helpful is a great place to turn your photos into sell-able items! You can sell shirts, cards, prints, posters, etc. CafePress is another great venue. Good luck!

If you want something closer to Photoshop for photo editing, check out a free program called The GIMP. I've used it and so far can't find anything Photoshop does that it can't do.

As far as actually making your art, I don't really know. Maybe check out Etsy and see if there is a discussion board?

I would really think about getting photoshop. Its an amazing program! Its rather expensive but well worth it. If you do get it i would also look into maybe taking a photographers photoshop class/course. You can do so much with it, but if you've never used it before it can be a bit tough to figure out at first.

A few good places to maybe check out for printing is &

There are tons of printing places out there so maybe search for some more on google or join a photographers community. is a pretty decent community and it gives you an online free gallery.

Feel free to email anytime Midnights.daydream and I'll try and help with any questions you might have.

I have used Broderbund's Print shop since version 3. (New one is version is #23. So you know how long I have been doing this on many computers in the last 20 years!) There is nothing I can't or have not done with this program. You can find special price codes for this, I bought my last one for $7, as well as 2 more for gifts for the kids to learn. You don't have to install more than the main CD, putting in the art disk for graphic library as needed.

It is important to find one brand and stay with it, updating about every 5 years for the new version.

I just learned to make DVDs with MUSIC and do all sorts of things. So the photos of the family, grandchildren will mean more to others, rather than just an email with cuties, printing off to share, I will do DVDs.

I need to add some things. If the photo contains children/faces, there is something of a law, etc to keep their faces from being transposed to (heaven forbid) any porn. Also, if you use people in the photos, do not use face shots or anything that can be reconized as who they are WITHOUT some form of release signed. I do lots of crowd shots, people watching and if I get children doing something, I ask permission to do it from the parents--most of the time prior to but immediately after always. And if you print them, more laws to follow. Less chance to get into trouble if you use your family. Take back shots, side shots, distance crowd shots, do a blur or fade shot other wise. SAFETY FIRST.

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I will check them all out this weekend. I appreciate each of you taking the time to respond. You have been so helpful.

If you want high quality card stock and digital printing that's acid-free and lignan free (archival), I've been thrilled with what I've produced with Heritage Makers. I see a huge quality difference when compared to cards I receive from friends who use other programs. I do my cards, calendars, and posters there - even decks of planing cards :D I also use adobe photoshop to prep photos before uploading them to Heritage Makers.

Business and Legal BusinessFebruary 19, 2009
Online Shopping
Selling Crafts Online
eBay Logo
Selling On eBay
Picture of a digital camera.
Organizing Digital Photos
Family Taking Digital Photos
Transferring Digital Photos to Your Computer