Shopping for Ham Flavored Soup Base

Where do I find ham flavored soup base? I love bean soup, but it tastes like it's missing something.
Can I try supermarkets like Kroger/King Soopers?

Thank you for any help.

By Rachelle from Denver, CO

Contact the manager at any major supermarket chain. Or what I do since I follow a vegetarian life style is to use liquid smoke. You can buy it in a small bottle and it adds a smoke flavor which you will not get in a ham soup base.

Try Bacon Bits. It provides some ham flavor. I also use a pinch of ground cloves and a bay leaf. I hope this will help.

Hello Rachelle, I actually use chicken broth as a ham and bean base and always add a few sliced carrots, celery sticks and onion or fennel with a bay leaf or two plus about a tablespoon of Old Bay Seasoning and at least 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. I also occasionally mix it up by adding a cup (or can) or so of the butter beans or black eyed peas with the regular white or navy beans. I'm guilty as sin about "eyeballing" versus specific measurements, but it usually turns out fantastic and never turns out badly! Just some "food for thought!" Good luck!

Goya makes a Ham Flavored Concentrate. I purchase this at HEB Grocery (Texas chain) it comes in a tan box, found on the aisle with other Mexican items. It is a great ham flavoring. Do not know if WalMart stocks. GOYA has a lot of Mexican products.

I have trouble finding that too so I always save the ham bone (freeze it) when making a ham and if I don't have that, I slice up a package of kielbassa and cook that with the soup.

You don't need any sort of soup base. Simply buy some smoked bacon bones or a smoked pork hock or two, then drop in a large saucepan with water to cover plus extra (sorry, I don't have exact measurements). Add a halved onion (you can leave the skin on if you wish), 6 - 8 whole peppercorns, and 2 bayleaves if you have them. Bring to the boil, then lower heat and simmer for an hour or so. Taste the stock and add salt if necessary (the smoked bones are already salty, so don't add extra salt until you taste it). If too salty, add some extra water. Strain the stock and refrigerate overnight, then remove any solidified fat before using. Remove any meat from the bones, discarding any other solids, and keep refrigerated until you make the soup.

When you are ready to make the soup, put the stock in a saucepan, add a finely diced onion and finely diced carrots, celery or potatoes if you wish. Now add a packet of split peas or beans (pre-soak beans if necessary), and simmer for an hour or two until tender. I usually simmer until the split peas disintegrate, but you can also use a stick blender to puree the soup.

Add chopped meat from the bones or the hock before serving.

Delicious, easy and made from scratch!

Go to a restaurant supply store. They serve individuals as well. That is where I get mine. They have a lot of items you can't find in the store. We get our bacon there and a few spices and flavorings we can't get at other stores. Good luck. On the beans I get a cheap ham shank on sale and cut it up in chunks and freeze the chunks in freezer bags and take out what I need for the item I am cooking. Cook the bone and save the broth and chips for delicious soup.

I love Better Than Bouillon. Here is the link. I have used the ham for bean soup. I love the clam for clam chowder. http://www.superiortouch.com/retail/products/better-than-bouillon

I think I might have seen it in the hispanic food section at Walmart.

I found it at my local grocery store in the soup aisle. I love it for ham & beans! Good luck!

Hi Rachelle, I get mine on-line thru www.redibase.com. It's made from all natural ingredients and makes a delicious ham and bean soup. I use it in addition to a ham bone, as I like a lot of smokey ham flavor. Nita in Arizona

I got mine at Wegman's but if not near a Wegman,s grocery store, try another big super market, Or try a health food store. It does add a lot of flavor to the ham bean soup without using much of it but be careful because it can tend to be salty sometimes so consider what else is salty in your soup too.

I live in WA state and have found Ham Base at Cash and Carry.

In a pinch, try tossing in a smoked sausage into your bean soup. Great flavor! Or even better, a smoked ham hock or smoked turkey drum stick. There are so many things to make a great stock for bean soup!

Penseys Spices carries Ham Soup Base and Seasoning. It's about $8 for an 8 ounce jar, but a little goes a long way. Their website is www.penseys.com. They sell by mail and also have stores, which you can locate on their website. If you get their mail order catalog, you'll find fascinating reading about herbs and spices, and marvelous recipes. I cut lots of recipes out before I throw my catalogs away. Penseys carries just about any herb or spice you could want, and many blends which are their own recipes, plus soup stocks, dip and salad dressing mixes, etc.

Just use a ham hock soup bone. You'd be surprised how much better it can taste. I also pour in some beef broth or chicken broth and add vegetables, bay leaf beans and voila bean soup!

Consumer Advice Product FinderJanuary 29, 2011
Cooking a Turkey in Your Oven, A turkey in the oven.
Cooking Ham and Turkey in the Same Oven
Recipes Using Leftover Ham, Spiral sliced ham.
Freezing Leftover Ham
Freezing Cooked Ham
Ham Loaf
Ham Loaf Recipes
🎄
🍂