Fried Green Tomatoes

This is such an easy dish to prepare. We make it at least two times during the growing season, when we really need to have a way to use up green tomatoes. When our tomato plants are just starting to get tomatoes on them, they are often too heavy for the branches, so they need to be lightened. By removing some of the still green tomatoes, it insures a better crop of vine-ripened ones later.

Secondly, we need to do something with a lot of green tomatoes at the end of the season when cold weather threatens to come earlier than expected. Other than making a good relish, there are few ways of making good use of the surplus unless you're really into Green Tomato Pie. More about that later maybe.

This recipe can also be used to fry zucchini or yellow squash.

• 4 medium-size green tomatoes
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup cornmeal (or flour or mix of flour and cornmeal)
  • 2 Tbsp. bacon drippings

Cut tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices. Season with salt and pepper and dredge in cornmeal.

Heat bacon drippings in a heavy skillet. Add tomato slices a few at the time, and fry slowly until browned. Turn each slice one time.

This recipe yields enough for 2 hungry people. You might have enough for 4 people, if they are served just as a side dish.

Note: If you don't have bacon drippings, don't let that stop you. Use a good vegetable oil like Mazola corn oil.

Servings: 2 or maybe 3
Prep Time: 10-15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 Minutes

Source: Another of my Mother's and no doubt my Grandmother's way of using all the available foods without wasting anything.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Oh these make my mouth water. They're on my"To Do List". Thanks for the recipe.

I've probably already eaten my share, but I'll do it again and again every

chance I have. We like the mixture of yellow cornmeal and flour best, and

if you have some onion powder, toss that in the mixture along with the

salt and pepper.

In the daily rush of things, I sometimes forget about these most simple of

foods which are the best of all.

Thank you Pookarina.

I don't like tomatoes but I love fried green tomatoes! I cut mine in small wedges and deep fry them. I peel, cut, salt and then toss in a bag with corn meal and flour. When the tomatoes are cut this way, they stay crisp. No more soggy tomatoes!

Julia, I'm going to have to stop thinking about this particular recipe - you're making me hungry! Funny... I didn't used to like fried green tomatoes until hubby cooked them this way. He uses a small brown paper bag and shakes the tomato slices and cornmeal together to coat them. Yummy!

Yes, my mouth is waering for these too! I had never had fried green tomatoes until a couple of years ago, then I discovered how delicious they are. Thanks for the recipe & for reminding me that I wanted to try making these for myself!

I love the idea of using bacon drippings. They will add so much good flavor. I have always used bread crumbs, but a mixture of cornmeal and flour sounds really good.

You can have these all year long, just can the green tomatoes as you would can green beans. Sliced the green tomatoes in put in canning jar. Taste is so good in the winter.

I've never eaten Fried Green Tomatoes, but I saw the movie. If they taste as good as you all say they do, guess I'll have to try them.

Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried Green Tomato Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesJuly 1, 2011
Using Green Tomatoes
Using Green Tomatoes
Fried ice cream.
Fried Ice Cream Recipes
Fried Dill Pickle Chip Recipes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes