Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Laundry Detergent Stain on Carpet

A bottle of blue detergent fell and poured out on my white rug. How can I get it out? Thank you!

By ABee from New Hope, PA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By lisa Hegewald [3]12/01/2010

Rent a carpet cleaner (Rug Doctor, etc.) and run clear water through it. You may have to do this several times to get it all out. We actually use HE laundry detergent to clean our carpets, then rinse with vinegar water. It works better than the shampoos made for it and the vinegar takes out odors.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Laundry Detergent Stain on Carpet

I am looking for a solution for a carpet stain. This happened when a 2 year old poured 1/2 bottle of laundry detergent on the carpet (blue color). Please help.

Deb from Nashville, TN

RE: Laundry Detergent Stain on Carpet

I have rental property, and a tenant spilled a lot of liquid detergent on her carpet. After using plain water to remove the detergent (this took a number of tries), I let the spot dry. I then poured straight white vinegar on the spot, scrubbing it in, with a scrub brush, and then absorbing as much vinegar as I could, with old bath towels. The detergent spot disappeared! (01/13/2008)

By Sharon

My son has poured Tide on the carpet. Could you please help me to get this off my carpet?

By nikhil from St. Louis, MO