Saving Money on Pet Supplies

Do you have any money saving tips for pet supplies? Share your ideas with the ThriftyFun community by posting feedback below.

When out purchasing pet supplies, be sure to ask if they have any broken or torn bags or dented cans of hamster litter, kitty litter, pet foods, fish food, wildbird seed, etc. Also, might ask if they've got any doggie beds, kitty towers, bird cages, aquariums that might have a flaw, that could be purchased at a discounted price.

Not necessarily all of those, just whatever you might be needing with your special pet(s).

By Terri

I make my own beds-Polar Fleece [$6 @ yd, $1.29 for Polyfil]. Bought a fiberboard 24" in diameter from bakery store. Trace around fiberboard, cut out 2 layers, machine sew around edge leaving hand size opening to stuff it, turn right side out, stuff and hand sew opening closed. These go through the washer and dryer beautifully. Also they aren't stuffed with all the 'floor sweepings' that beds bought are!!!! Any left over scraps I sew as for the beds, stuff with polyfil and close. Can get 2-4 beds for the price of one bought in Petco! Fantastic site for pet things is UPCO.com. Top quality, low prices!! Joandogs

For those of us that can't sew or don't have time or have access to a machine. I have found a new bath mat at Wal-mart that would make a wonderful pet mat for inside a kennel,or carry kennel and is nice enough to put just on the floor. It comes in two sizes and several colors. Great for small or medium size pet.. What I like is that it is made with memory foam and covered with a soft cloth. It is machine washable and dryable. I would air dry this mat. It is very soft and spongey. Dogs or cats would love it. It is called Cloud 9 made by Mohawk and found in the home dept at Wal-mart. The small one cost around $ 12.98 plus tax and I bought a small brown one, This is 10.00 to 20.00 less than I saw for a actual pet mat the same size in the pet dept or at a pet store and not nearly as nice. My Mini Pin really likes his. He used to scrunce every thing he laid on. Now he uses this pad flat. It might have to do with the memory foam and it is more comfortable for him.

A golden retriever chewing on a bone.
Saving Money on Pet Supplies
Pets AdviceSeptember 20, 2005
Girl Playing with Homemade Playdough
Saving Money On Crafts
Padded Envelopes
Saving Money on Mailing Supplies
Mare and Foal in a Corral
Saving Money on Horse Boarding
Clear plastic wrap
Saving Money on Plastic Wrap
🎄