Allergic Reaction from Hot Chocolate

My son had a mug of hot chocolate in a place that specializes in all things chocolate. It advertises this beverage as the "best in this state, the nation" or some such thing.


Midway through, he had to stop drinking it because it "coated the tongue and made it feel prickly and stinging". He said that this was not due to the heat, but to ingredients.

Any ideas what it could have been? I am wondering if we need to be on the lookout for an allergic reaction.

April 8, 20070 found this helpful

First off, how old is your son? Kids can tell stories if they don't like something. But it's a good thing that he did say something (if it's not a story). Should you be on the lookout for allergies? If he tells you his mouth is pricky and stingy, I WOULD! It's very sad how many people/kids these days have allergies that just weren't as prevalent when I was a kid (in the 70's and 80's). But you must be aware, take him to the DR. to have tests done. There is no real way to decipher what he is/isn't allergic to unless it you get an immediate reaction, say from laying a walnut on a tongue and the person going into shock. Dr's have a bunch of tests they can perform, better be safe than sorry! I have a friend who daughter is allergic to nuts, she can't even have fruit snacks from some brands because they are processed in the same plant as nuts!

Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
April 9, 20070 found this helpful

Son is 24 years old.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
April 10, 20070 found this helpful

You need to find out the ingredients of the drink. Some chocolate confections contain cinnamon or chili pepper to give it a zing. It could be something as simple as that, and not an allergic reaction at all.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
April 12, 20070 found this helpful

I have the same reaction to anything that has cinnamon in it. My mouth and tongue start to feel thickly numb and my tongue swells on the side and will eventually in a few hours break out in raised red areas and they eventually blister and slough off. At this point it is painful and lasts for days, aggravated by most textures and spices until it heals. My dermatologist said that cinnamon contains an acidic compound that causes a contact allergy. He said that in countries where it is harvested that it is a common allergy and that because of the increased use in the fancier drinks that you can make at home or get at the local coffeeshop, it is showing up more and more. Good luck in finding a solution to his problem, but I would give it some serious consideration. The thing about allergies is that if you are truely allergic, the next exposure could be worse.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
April 21, 20070 found this helpful

Could he be allergic to the dried milk or creamer product that the manufacturer put in the hot chocolate mix? Sorry to hear about this happening.

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
June 10, 20070 found this helpful

Many companies use Corn Sweetener in their products which is the fifth greatest allergern in all foods, which always affects our mouth/tongue and beyond. Dark chocolate doesn't seem to do this, but Milk chocolate must be sweetened and the Corn Sweetener is CHEAPER than sugar. That's my guess.

Also, since it's so common, he's likely getting it or some derivitive of it in other things, in fact, MOST things he eats, and may well have developed an allergy to it. If you begin reading ingredients, watching for the "other" names they call corn byprodutcs: Dextrose/Dextrin, Acidic Acid, Modified Food Starch, High Fructose Corn Sweetener, and even Corn oil, you can learn to hunt for items that have the least of these. We had to desensitize my

son for two years, not letting him have candy, chips,

cookies, desserts, ice cream, EXCEPT those rare items in those catagories that were simply made, and did not use the corn products much. We take Bluebonnet brand Acidolphylus w/FOS, from the Health Food store to help to boost the immune system and build up the mucous membrane areas, such as the mouth, against such allergic reactions, and IT WORKS FOR ALL OF US. Good luck and God

bless you. : )

ReplyWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Article
Hot Chocolate
Allergic Reaction from Hot Chocolate
Health & Beauty AdviceApril 8, 2007
Woman Using Facial Wipe
Allergic Reaction to Facial Wipe
A woman suffering from allergies.
Dealing With Allergies
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub
Christmas Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 23, 2016 at 2:22:36 PM on in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.
Loading Something Awesome!