Use Bread Crust To Clean Iron Skillets

I cooked scrambled eggs in my cast iron skillet. When done, I still had some stuff in the pan, you know you don't use soap and water to clean. Well, I had a round bread with a hard crust from my food bank. I cut off the sides and use the insides so I used the ends (couple inches or so). I cleaned the skillet with the bread side down and with the outer crust, which had cornmeal on it. Wow, totally cleaned my skillet! Then I rinsed in hot water with a paper towel and dried and oiled. I wonder if they did this in the olden days.

By pamelaw from Sunlakes, AZ

I doubt it. Corn meal will absorb any/all oily residue (ie, the 'seasoning') in the skillet. The skillet probably does look cleaner, but you've also lost a lot of seasoning in the skillet. A soaking and rubbing with a non-soapy object is best. If you choose to scramble eggs in the CI skillet, use a wooden spoon & wipe out remnants in the skillet.

Sounds good. My favorite scraper is an old credit card. It can bend to fit the contours of any pan and is great for "nonstick" pans : no scratch !

Pioneers used either dirt followed by a rinse or wipe if they were on a trail or boiling water if available. Older bread was used for things like bread pudding or made into bread crumbs.

If you use bread to clean your pans without any soaps; it's still great to put out for the birds!

Yep, if you're going to use bread to scrape then please put it out for the birds afterward especially since it was donated to a food bank for your consumption :-)

My grandma always did that & she was born in 1901. Always used her cast iron for everything

Home and Garden Cleaning MetalDecember 4, 2009
An apple pie with a delicious looking pie crust.
Pie Crust Tips and Tricks
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
cheesecake with graham cracker crust
Dessert Ideas With a Graham Cracker Crust
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
🎉
🎄