Beano Substitute

If you are gassy after eating beans, it might be helpful to try using Beano or a Beano substitute before eating beans. This is a guide about Beano substitute.

Is there something that will take some of the gas out of beans that I can use, instead of buying Beano?

TabbiC

Best Answer

My mom puts a potato in her beans... I dont know how it works but we have never had a problem with gas either.

Best Answer

I used to have the same problem until I started cooking a peeled carrot in with my beans. You can throw the carrot away when the beans are done or you can eat the carrot but the gas is gone. At least it seems to cut it out 95%. That's a big plus. I will not eat beans now without the carrot cooked in with them.

Best Answer

After soaking the washed beans over night. My mother-in-law used a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in the water after the beans had started to simmer. Then she skimmed off the foam and then add a little more water and simmer until tender.

It seems to work. I've been doing that for years.We just finished a 2 lb package of pintos. And it works with pink beans too.

Best Answer

One thing I do is the quick-soak method listed on the package. I cover the beans with water, bring to a boil, let them boil 2 minutes, then remove from heat. I let them sit at least an hour, then pour off all of the water, refill the pan with clean water and boil for a couple of hours. Something about the first boiling seems to break open the outside coating of the bean, letting the gas-producing stuff out. But whatever you do, do not eat, drink or otherwise consume the water that you first boiled the beans in. I've heard if you do, it will bring very unpleasant results to you and those around you. Good luck.

Best Answer

We use a pressure cooker to cook pinto beans after soaking them overnight. Twice we have added 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda to "help take the gas out" and twice we have blown up the pressure cooker. It only happens when we add baking soda to the soaking water. Why?

Best Answer

My family has always used baking soda to cut down on the gassy effect from beans. The soda is added when you are merely soaking the beans. The beans are drained after soaking and then rinsed. All I can say is that it works. Remember ALWAYS rinse the beans after soaking. If you are making something like chili then you may have a science project your kid can take to school if you dont rinse the beans (remember the volcano made with paper mache that you use baking soda and vinegar or ketchup with?).

Best Answer

There is a Mexican herb named epazote that can be cooked with the beans to remove the gas causing agent.

Ginger is a natural, cooking with or the juice bottled, candy, tea. Prevents or helps the after affect.

I take a piece of aluminum foil about 2 to 3 inches wide, wad it up and cook the beans with the wad of foil in the pot. My 2 prim & proper daughters-in-law were worried about gas from the beans, but I told them if they had any after eating my beans it would be minimal. Works for them and anyone else who eats my beans.

Thanks to everyone for all the really useful info. I have one other question - do these methods work for canned beans? I have loads in my cupboard for convenience sake - any ideas are greatly appreciated.

(PS I KNOW the irony of my user name in this instance - but it refers to Boston (my home town!)

Cheers

I need substitute for Beano that can be used for preventing gas and bloating from eating beans and vegetables.

Ed Langley from Rockford, Illinois

Best Answer

Why buy Beano when a few slices of fresh ginger root can do the job, as well as many others.

1. Put a few slices of ginger in the dry bean soaking water, toss out with the water and cook the beans. For a hint of ginger in the beans add 2 or 3 slices to the cooking water. Prevents the gas forming formations.

2. For your fresh caught fish, a few slivers of ginger root in the cavity with green onion takes the blood taste out.

Fresh ginger root has hundreds of other uses.

To keep from molding, store in glass jar in white wine.

By Carolyn Choi

Best Answer

You can put baking soda in your beans while you are cooking dried beans. You can also put carrots in your cabbage while cooking it to help avoid gas.

Best Answer

I always soak my dry beans overnight with a pinch of baking soda..also put a pinch in the pot when I cook them. I also use only the Goya brand beans...They are far less gas producing! I never have problems with the ugly hot air when I do all of the above.

Best Answer

When I cook beans I always cook them with a peeled carrot. Sounds strange but it works. When the are done you can either eat the carrot or throw it away but the gas is gone when you use this method. I've done this for years. I really didn't think it would work but somehow it does.

Best Answer

Some cooks suggest adding a small amount of baking soda to the cooking water to soften it. We don't recommend this because baking soda may give the beans a soapy flavor and its ability to improve the bean cooking process has not been proved. Amounts of baking soda over 1/8 teaspoon per cup of beans may destroy the thiamine (Vitamin B1) in beans. Thiamine is a valuable nutrient and one reason why beans have a reputation for being nutritious. If you have hard water and are in doubt as to whether or not to use baking soda, buy purified bottled drinking water - not distilled water - for soaking and cooking beans.

By guest client (Guest Post)

You can store fresh ginger root pretty much indefinitely in the freezer in a zip-lock bag. When you need to use some it thaws in just a few minutes! No more moldy ginger!

The doctor recommended "Ovol 80" . the tiniest bit of gas was so painful for me at one time.

Soaking the beans overnight with a little

baking soda should work.

Beano story...my husband and I were in California. He was down there for work and I drove down for a week. We were at Thrifty Drug- we each went our own way to grab what we needed. I needed earplugs for swimming. As we waited to check out, I looked in our basket and realized there were only two things in it...Beano and earplugs.

"When I cook beans I always cook them with a peeled carrot. Sounds strange but it works. When the are done you can either eat the carrot or throw it away but the gas is gone when you use this method. "<P>

A prank my friend pulled to get his uncle back for a rude fart: he cooked a bunch of beans and chili, cut a few potatoes in half and cooked them in the mix (he does this to get rid of the gas in the beans), and then gave his uncle some really good tasting potatoes. The uncle's a truck driver with his wife, and it was a cold winter. <BR>So... I wouldn't eat that carrot mentioned above. Does anyone else know if it is okay to eat the carrot?

There is a Mexican herb that diminishes bean side effects in humans and adds a hickory flavor. Does anyone know what this inexpensive "beano" herb is called?

Best Answer

Hi

i thinks that this Mexican herb is called Epazote.

Carmen

It's called epazote :)