Spider Deterrent

Q: I am looking for a spider deterrent for my patio area. I have pets and so do not want to use chemicals or toxic products. I do not want to kill the spiders, I would prefer a homemade solution that I could spray or apply around the "people" areas of my garden.

Any ideas?

Hardiness Zone: 5b

Danamango From Montreal, Canada

A: Danamango,

If you get rid of the insects they eat, you will eventually get rid of the spiders. I have seen the following home remedies for repelling spiders. I've never tried any of these myself, but they certainly sound interesting. If you (or anyone on this site) try one of these methods, let me know if it works!

• Chestnuts: place them around patio doors and around the perimeter of the balcony or deck to repel spiders.

• Strong Essential Oils: (Canola, cedarwood, citronella, garlic, lavender, cinnamon, peppermint, tea tree oil, etc.) Combine 5 drops of any of these oils to 1 quart of water and a bit of dish detergent. Spray around desired areas.

• Chewing Tobacco: Add 1 package of chewing tobacco to 1 gallon of boiling water and let cool. Strain and save liquid. Add 1 cup of the liquid to a 1/2 cup of lemon scented dish detergent. Pour into a spray bottle and treat the desired area. (Recipe by Jerry Baker, America's Master Gardener).

• Lemons: Spiders taste with their feet and are repelled by lemon oil, and even lemon-scented pledge. (This advice is supposed to be straight from the folks at Arachnophobia-the movie).

• Osage Orange (Horse Apples): Quarter them and place them around the perimeter of affected areas.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Try making a spray mixture of dishwashing deterrgent and water. I don't know about spiders but no insect likes the taste of soap. I use this in the garden and it works just fine.

I tried dried lavender (about 3 Tbsp.) mixed with vinegar. (About 2 cups.) Let it sit for a couple of days. I poured it around my porch and let it drip down to the ground. Never saw a single spider for 2 years in or out of the house. The 2nd time id di not work. Don't know why. Got the idea from some guy who writes books on natural gardening.

Chestnuts do not work. I even tried something you plug in to an electrical outlet, it didn't work. I am going to try the lemon thing. Thanks. We have brickwork on our deck, they love it.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you The lemon pledge worked ..... amazing. Thanks again. I also bought lemon oil, so am going to try that with water and a little detergent, as it will go further. I used two cans of lemon pledge around my sun deck. worked like a charm. Just not sure how often I have to do it, but I guess the spiders will let me know.

Also, Eucalyptus will keep spiders away.

I've yet to try the chestnuts but friends that swear by it say the important thing of it is that there fresh picked chestnuts and only work for the season.

I have a major, major case of arachnophobia and just moved into a ground floor apartment (not the smartest idea, I know). I placed several chestnuts at my doors, windows, in closets, and nooks and crannies. I also sprinkled red pepper flakes at doors and windows as I heard this can be a good deterrent.

Very unfortunately for me, neither of these things worked! There was a big one in my place just a few days after moving in so I am going to try the lemon pledge and lemon oil route. I also want to try and avoid poisons as I have respiratory problems.

I'm trying to keep spiders out of my shed. I've tried vinegar, lemon curd, pepper and conkers all of them don't work.

Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Home and Garden Pest Control SpidersJune 1, 2006
Spider Veins
Spider Vein Remedies
Spider decoration on a light fixture.
Making a Spider Egg Sac Light Cover
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
Organic Food
Buying Organic Food