Drilling a Hole in a Wine Bottle

How do you put a hole in the bottom of a wine bottle without breaking it?

By Dianne8897 from Wooster, OH

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

It's not easy! You need a special drill bit. You can sometimes use the one made for drilling ceramics but a diamond bit works much better. & while you're drilling you need to have someone drip water on the bit & the area being drilled. This prevents heat build-up. At least this is how a friend told me she drilled a sheet of glass which is basically the same thing (but not as thick as a pop bottle.

Check this out:

http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.com/Diamond-Drill/MAIN.htm

They sell flat nose diamond bits & also have a "how to" section.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/674_Drilling_Ceramic_Tile.shtml

Hello Dianne! I do not know an answer to your question, but I wanted to say hello to you. I'm in Wooster, Ohio too!

Misty

I do drill wine bottles with a drill press. This helps because you can exert even pressure. First fill the bottle with cool water all the way to the top and cork it. I use a vacuum sealing cork. Then use some plumbers putty to create a dam at the drill site and fill that with water. All this is to keep the glass cool. Drill away. The tricky part is at the very end, you don't want to put to much force because it can still splinter.

Answer

Anyone know how to drill a hole in the side of a wine bottle without it cracking. I make glass blocks as well, but I don't think drilling will work as glass is thin.

Carrie from Canada

Answers:

Drilling a Hole in a Wine Bottle

You can use a drill bit for drilling ceramics and glass, put your drill on a slow speed and keep it cool with little bit water to cool the drill bit. It work. My father used to drill holes into bottles to make lamps. I was asked to help him dripping the water onto the drill bit and bottle. (11/19/2007)

By Snazzy

Drilling a Hole in a Wine Bottle

I purchased a 7/16 inch diamond hole saw from Harbor Freight and it worked really well. We used tape on the bottle first and yes it did slip a bit, but once we got the drill bit going it worked good. Try to grind one side down slightly and then begin working the hole saw to the middle and so on. We did about 7 bottles in less than 45 minutes. We tried with a glass drill bit, but it took 1 1/2 hours to do one bottle. (12/02/2008)

By Merry

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Photos of wine bottle lamps with decorations.
Making a Wine Bottle Lamp
Crafts Glass ArtJuly 29, 2009
Drilling Holes in Glass
Drilling Holes in Glass
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 24, 2016 at 11:12:48 AM on 10.0.1.200 in 375 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.