Drilling a Hole in a Wine Bottle

How do you put a hole in the bottom of a wine bottle without breaking it?

By Dianne8897 from Wooster, OH

Filter Sort

By Cyinda 214 1,287 Flag

It's not easy! You need a special drill bit. You can sometimes use the one made for drilling ceramics but a diamond bit works much better. & while you're drilling you need to have someone drip water on the bit & the area being drilled. This prevents heat build-up. At least this is how a friend told me she drilled a sheet of glass which is basically the same thing (but not as thick as a pop bottle.

Check this out:

http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.com/Diamond-Drill/MAIN.htm

They sell flat nose diamond bits & also have a "how to" section.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/674_Drilling_Ceramic_Tile.shtml

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Misty 23 35 Flag

Hello Dianne! I do not know an answer to your question, but I wanted to say hello to you. I'm in Wooster, Ohio too!

Misty

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By NiteTech 1 Flag

I do drill wine bottles with a drill press. This helps because you can exert even pressure. First fill the bottle with cool water all the way to the top and cork it. I use a vacuum sealing cork. Then use some plumbers putty to create a dam at the drill site and fill that with water. All this is to keep the glass cool. Drill away. The tricky part is at the very end, you don't want to put to much force because it can still splinter.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Drilling a Hole in a Wine Bottle

Anyone know how to drill a hole in the side of a wine bottle without it cracking. I make glass blocks as well, but I don't think drilling will work as glass is thin.

Carrie from Canada

Feedback:

RE: Drilling a Hole in a Wine Bottle

You can use a drill bit for drilling ceramics and glass, put your drill on a slow speed and keep it cool with little bit water to cool the drill bit. It work. My father used to drill holes into bottles to make lamps. I was asked to help him dripping the water onto the drill bit and bottle. (11/19/2007)

By Snazzy

RE: Drilling a Hole in a Wine Bottle

I purchased a 7/16 inch diamond hole saw from Harbor Freight and it worked really well. We used tape on the bottle first and yes it did slip a bit, but once we got the drill bit going it worked good. Try to grind one side down slightly and then begin working the hole saw to the middle and so on. We did about 7 bottles in less than 45 minutes. We tried with a glass drill bit, but it took 1 1/2 hours to do one bottle. (12/02/2008)

By Merry

Photos of wine bottle lamps with decorations.
Making a Wine Bottle Lamp
Next
Crafts Glass ArtJuly 29, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Drilling Holes in Glass
Drilling Holes in Glass
Making a Wine Bottle Lamp
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:13:09 PM on 10.0.1.149 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings