Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Drilling a Hole in a Wine Bottle

How do you put a hole in the bottom of a wine bottle without breaking it?

By Dianne8897 from Wooster, OH

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By NiteTech04/09/2012

I do drill wine bottles with a drill press. This helps because you can exert even pressure. First fill the bottle with cool water all the way to the top and cork it. I use a vacuum sealing cork. Then use some plumbers putty to create a dam at the drill site and fill that with water. All this is to keep the glass cool. Drill away. The tricky part is at the very end, you don't want to put to much force because it can still splinter.

By Misty [19]08/03/2009

Hello Dianne! I do not know an answer to your question, but I wanted to say hello to you. I'm in Wooster, Ohio too!
Misty

By Cyinda [214]07/29/2009

It's not easy! You need a special drill bit. You can sometimes use the one made for drilling ceramics but a diamond bit works much better. & while you're drilling you need to have someone drip water on the bit & the area being drilled. This prevents heat build-up. At least this is how a friend told me she drilled a sheet of glass which is basically the same thing (but not as thick as a pop bottle.

Check this out:
http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.com/Diamond-Drill/MAIN.htm

They sell flat nose diamond bits & also have a "how to" section.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/674_Drilling_Ceramic_Tile.shtml

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Drilling a Hole in a Wine Bottle

Anyone know how to drill a hole in the side of a wine bottle without it cracking. I make glass blocks as well, but I don't think drilling will work as glass is thin.

Carrie from Canada

RE: Drilling a Hole in a Wine Bottle

You can use a drill bit for drilling ceramics and glass, put your drill on a slow speed and keep it cool with little bit water to cool the drill bit. It work. My father used to drill holes into bottles to make lamps. I was asked to help him dripping the water onto the drill bit and bottle. (11/19/2007)

By Snazzy

RE: Drilling a Hole in a Wine Bottle

I purchased a 7/16 inch diamond hole saw from Harbor Freight and it worked really well. We used tape on the bottle first and yes it did slip a bit, but once we got the drill bit going it worked good. Try to grind one side down slightly and then begin working the hole saw to the middle and so on. We did about 7 bottles in less than 45 minutes. We tried with a glass drill bit, but it took 1 1/2 hours to do one bottle. (12/02/2008)

By Merry