Replacing Cane Chair Seats With Leather

I have been given some dining chairs that have cane inserts in the seats original to the chair. I want to change the cane to leather since the caning is somewhat stretched from use. How would I do this?

By Fran from Punta Gorda, FL

Best Answer

I replaced cane with fabric seats on dining room chairs by having a piece of wood cut larger than the opening and putting some padding (foam) and stretching canvas over the foam and stretching and stapling on the back of the wood piece. Nail head trim could be added for trim. I added wood blocks in the corner of the new seat replacement to secure them from sliding or turning. They could be glued or nailed down, but I wanted to be able to restore the cane if desired in the future. Also wet the cane and let it dry and it may remove the sag in the cane.

To replace a cane chair you would have to use a cane and hook them together.

I don't have the info now, but in the past, I've had catalogs that have sold the leather chair seats. You would also have to buy those decorative nail heads to place around the seat and hold the leather in place. Try an internet search or call a refinishing store to see if they know who sells the seats. You may find them in any furniture refinishing catalog.

Are you aware that if the chair's caning is in decent shape, you can turn the chair upside down, wet it thoroughly, and it will tighten once dry. This may be all you need to do to take the sag out, depending on the type of caning used.

contact for caning supplies. do the caning yourself. I do caning but I'm in Ohio.

Chuck cedavy at

Broken Cane Chair
Repairing Cane Chairs
Home and Garden Repair Furniture ChairsJanuary 16, 2010
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Removing Mold from Boat Seats
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
Cleaning Boat Seats
Cleaning Boat Seats