Use Margarine to Remove Oil Based Paint

To remove oil based paint off clothing spread margarine on spot and scrub with a toothbrush. I was amazed!

Source: Parent from work

By Darlene from Keswick, Ontario

I seem to remember butter being used to remove tar from my shoes and clothes in hot weather when I was a child. We used to burst the tar bubbles on the road with our shoes! So easily amused back then!

I remember as a kid, whenever we'd paint with oil paint, to clean the brushes, we'd pour some cooking oil into a jar. Then we'd dip the brushes into it, swishing them around and working the oil into the bristles by rubbing them along the jar sides. After the paint has loosened, pour a little liquid dish soap onto the bristles and wash the oil out. The cooking oil loosens the paint and the dish soap cuts the oil, leaving a clean brush. Just shake and dry for the next use. If the paint is stubborn, soak in the oil for a while.

It really works!

OMG this really worked. Thought I had ruined my need shirt with a spot of enamel paint. Put margarine on it three times and used a brush. The paint was dry. It is gone now. Thanks for this comment, it's great.

Photo of a man painting his house.
Removing Paint Stains from Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousMay 21, 2009
Yellow Oil Paint
Using Oil Based Paint
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Latex Paint
Applying Latex Paint Over Oil Paint
🎉
🎄