Use Margarine to Remove Oil Based Paint

To remove oil based paint off clothing spread margarine on spot and scrub with a toothbrush. I was amazed!

Source: Parent from work

By Darlene from Keswick, Ontario

I seem to remember butter being used to remove tar from my shoes and clothes in hot weather when I was a child. We used to burst the tar bubbles on the road with our shoes! So easily amused back then!

I remember as a kid, whenever we'd paint with oil paint, to clean the brushes, we'd pour some cooking oil into a jar. Then we'd dip the brushes into it, swishing them around and working the oil into the bristles by rubbing them along the jar sides. After the paint has loosened, pour a little liquid dish soap onto the bristles and wash the oil out. The cooking oil loosens the paint and the dish soap cuts the oil, leaving a clean brush. Just shake and dry for the next use. If the paint is stubborn, soak in the oil for a while.

It really works!

OMG this really worked. Thought I had ruined my need shirt with a spot of enamel paint. Put margarine on it three times and used a brush. The paint was dry. It is gone now. Thanks for this comment, it's great.