Stickles Recipe

I am looking for a recipe for "Stickles". These are pickles made from the yellow rind of very large cucumbers. The brine has a very nasty odor when cooking, but the pickles are very delicious and very sweet. Thank you to anyone who can help me.

By Vikki from Tucson, AZ

Hope this helps.

Sweet Stickles

5 lbs. large and whitened overgrown regular slicing cucumbers

1/2 c pickling lime

3 3/4 cup sugar

2 1/4 t celery seed

3 c white vinegar

2 1/4 t canning salt

Peel and seed cucumbers. Cut into 2"- 3" sticks. Mix lime with 2 quarts of water, add the cucumber sticks and soak overnight. Rinse and drain 3 times in cold water. Soak in fresh cold water 3 - 4 hours. Drain. Combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Add cucumber sticks and let stand overnight. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes until cucumbers and clear. Stir frequently. Pack into hot jars, seal and process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Makes 4 pints

This isn't quite the same one, but close. Thank you.

While trying, unsuccessfully as it turns out, to find a recipe for someone at ThriftyFun, I did find this very unusual website:

Uncle Phaedrus Consulting Detective and Finder Of Lost Recipes

They find videos, albums, trivia, books, hard to find items - it's really a fun site. They have a section called 'back of the box recipes', for example. Hope you have as much fun as I did exploring. I love the web; you never know what you're going to find!

Thank you! (Not yelling, just excited!) I do believe that is it!

Food and Recipes Canning Condiments & SaucesFebruary 2, 2010
Ingredient Substitutions
Common Ingredient Substitutions
Recipe Cards
Using Recipe Cards
preparing a recipe
Converting the Size of a Recipe
Welbilt Bread Maker
Finding Welbilt Bread Maker Recipe Books