Trouble With a GFI Switch

I replaced an electrical outlet with a GFI switch. I plugged in a small fountain pump and it blew the fountain pump twice. Any thoughts on how to fix the electrical issue?

By Michael from CA

I am not an electrician by any means, but I do understand that the pump is probably pulling more amps than the breaker can handle and that is the beauty of the safety of having GFI which safely shuts it down.

Try wiring using a completely separate breaker for the fountain pump. It's probably overloading because of other electrical usage on that breaker and that's why the GFI automatically shuts it down.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Lighting and ElectricMay 17, 2010
Jumper Cables
Jump Starting a Car Battery
A bathtub.
Cleaning a Textured Bathtub Floor
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Light Switch
Repairing a Light Switch