Trouble With a GFI Switch

I replaced an electrical outlet with a GFI switch. I plugged in a small fountain pump and it blew the fountain pump twice. Any thoughts on how to fix the electrical issue?

By Michael from CA

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I am not an electrician by any means, but I do understand that the pump is probably pulling more amps than the breaker can handle and that is the beauty of the safety of having GFI which safely shuts it down.

Try wiring using a completely separate breaker for the fountain pump. It's probably overloading because of other electrical usage on that breaker and that's why the GFI automatically shuts it down.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Lighting and ElectricMay 17, 2010
Jumper Cables
Jump Starting a Car Battery
A bathtub.
Cleaning a Textured Bathtub Floor
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Light Switch
Repairing a Light Switch
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 1:17:07 PM on 10.0.1.211 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.