Feeding Baby Pets

If you are tackling the job of mama for baby puppies or cats, don't let them aspirate (breath in) their milk, as it can cause respiratory problems and death. Feed only small amounts, and more often without allowing pup to overeat then vomit, and can inhale it into their lungs.

Don't use cow milk, but goat milk for babies is as good as the stuff from vet, easy to digest. Use l/2 goat milk (canned) for babies and 1/2 water. Remember to burp as with a baby on a bottle. Good growing.

Source: My experience with a tiny Boston bull terrier pup started at 2 days.

By fuzzytufts from south GA

Please don't use goat's milk! Puppy and kitten formula is available at most major pet stores, and even a lot of Wal Mart's have it. And it's not overly expensive either.

to cricketnc (455) I had puppy milk from the vet but he couldn't tolerate anything except the goat milk. When I finally gave him up I had over 200 dollars in him so I didn't spare the money we did without to feed the baby. Thank you anyway

Please re read my post about formula milk. I have saved and raised many animals from squirrels to colts without mamas and just as humans you will find that all cannot tolerate vet formulas as humans cannot all take the same formula and that I am well aware of because my daughter was raised on banana based everything. Experience is a better teacher in a lot of things than the internet too. I worked with a large vets office for over l0 years and in the field. I do thank you for your opinion, but you are dead wrong.

Until when should I syringe feed my 9 week old (3 lb) pup? When will she be eating on her own. She was Diagnosed with parvovirus 9 days ago right when we got her and was hospitalized right away following her diagnosis for 3 nights. She was discharged 6 days ago. At the hospital she received IV fluids, feeding around the clock every 4 hrs, & plasma infusion. Upon discharged, ER vet told us we can syring pedialyte in her every 2-3 hours and her food (Hill's a/d soft food in can). We've been doing it since 6 days ago. We tried to introduce "slowly" her kibbles. She took 15 kibbles in the morning and 14 kibbles for lunch. She also drinks on her own. She was acting as a normal puppy for the first time (whining, playing, & very social). After that last string feed with just those also 30 pieces of kibbles, her blood sugar dropped to 30. With honey, we were able to raise it to 63 but still below 70. In 2 hours, she's back to her normal self. I got so scared and thought that I would lose her yesterday. Now, she's back to her puppy self. Continued the kibbles softened with warm water and if she doesn't eat, continue to string her. But how long should I do this? It's really hard for me when I work. I live 4 miles from work and would rush home using my 30 mins lunchtime to syringe feed her. 30 mins is not enough and not safe for me and her. What should I do? Thank you.