Making Pie Crusts For The Freezer

I love to make pies, but I lose recipes a lot so i have to find a recipe again every time I absolutely hate the taste of refrigerated pie crust, (store bought), I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for making a lot of pie dough that would stay good frozen or in the fridge.

Juniorbaker

Best Answer

This is not a large recipe, but it does make 3 crusts that may be frozen. It is a great recipe and easy to handle. Try it and let me know how you like it.

NO-FAIL PIE CRUSTS (with cream cheese)

Makes 3 pie crusts

• 3 cups flour
  • 1 cup margarine or butter
  • 1 - 8 oz. cream cheese

Set aside the butter and cream cheese and soften.

In a medium-sized bowl, place 3 cups flour, and add the

butter and cream cheese to it. Cut this into the flour until

blended, then mix well with your hands (as you would bread dough).

This dough WILL NOT stick to your hands. It is wonderful!!!!

Separate into 3 balls and cover with plastic wrap so it won't dry.

Roll out into the size you need for crust. You won't even need flour on the board to do this. It's amazing. Place crust into pie pan and place in it your favorite filling, and bake according to directions.

It's the most tender, good tasting crust you've ever made and SO simple.

This recipe yields 3 crusts. If you only want to make 2 of them, you can either refrigerate it for at least 2 weeks or freeze indefinitely.

* Note: 1/2 cup of Sugar may be added to this pie crusts to give it a sweet taste. I was surprised how wonderful a little sugar was in pie crusts till someone gave me a pumpkin pie with sugar in the crust. This amount of sugar added is about 2 1/2 tablespoons per pie crust. Super!

By Linda from PA

Best Answer

When I am in a "baking mood", I prepare several extra pie crusts for freezing. I put a piece of waxed paper or paper from a cereal bag (works wonderfully for so many uses) between the layers so they don't stick. When company comes or our family gets in the mood for dessert, it is simple to make the filling and have a great dessert.

By Linda

sounds really good! but sometimes i dont have cream cheese on hand and my mom only shops 2-3 times a week, do you have any ideas for subsitute?

pie dough enough for 5 pies

5 cups flour

1 1/2t salt

2 1/4 cup crisco

1 egg beaten

2T white vinegar

1 cup cold water

combine flour&salt cut in crisco till crumbly beat egg -water-vinegar slowlymix into flour mix well store in tight container in fridge reall good pie dough enjoy!!!

Dear Guest post: Cream cheese....The next time your mom goes shopping get her to buy a few extra packages of cream cheese. Put a couple into the freezer (where only you know where they are). When you want to make something with cream cheese (like the pie crust), take a package out of the freezer, unwrap the package and thaw in the microwave a litle at a time. Cream it by beating with a fork or the beaters. Works great! Use in any recipe calling for cream cheese. I freeze all my cream cheese. (no more buying, placing in the fridge and "forgetting" about it at the back and opening it up to find it is too old and going moldy.)

Pie Crusts for the Freezer
Making Pie Crusts for the Freezer
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingJanuary 10, 2005
strawberry shortcake
Recipes Using Refrigerated Pie Crusts
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
pecan pie
Freezing Pecan Pie
Canning Pie Filling, Cherry Pie
Canning Pie Filling
🎄