Need Ideas for an Advent Calendar

Any ideas on how to make a homemade advent calender? I want to make one my daughter can keep for a couple of years. I am open to it being made out of about anything cloth, wood, etc.

If you are up for an advent calender that doesn't hang on the wall, try this: Get 24 large matchboxes(the kind that have part that slides out of a sleeve) Cover each sleeve piece on three sides with felt, fabric or paper. You can even line the inside of each too. Glue a small bead to one short side of the slide out part and number from one to 24 beside the knob. Glue together side by side and in stacks ie(first row about 8 or 9 across, on top of that, one less box at each end; continue in the same way until you have one box at the top, #24)with bead knobs facing all the same way. Put a little toy or small ornament in each box.

I made these for my kids when they were little, they used them for many years.

I bought a piece of quilted Christmas material, sewed red ribbon on the sides and bottom to give a finished edge

I wrote the poem at the bottom on a piece of white material with fabric paint, then sewed it to the bottom of the piece

I sewed a small square piece of green material above that and stitched 24 ribbons

(@6inches long, stitch in the middle of the ribbon) on to the piece of material in a triangle to resemble a tree.

Attach a bell at the top of the tree

Fold over the top about 2 inches and sew, so you can slip in a small dowel.

Attach a ribbon to the ends of the dowel with tacks so you can hang them on the wall.

Make sure you space the ribbons far enough apart to be able to tie the candies on

Buy some small toys, candy, or even poems rolled up and tie one to each ribbon.

Here is the poem to attach to the bottom. I used fabric paint, but you can cross stitch or anything you want

December 1st until Christmas

Is the longest time of the year.

It seems as though old Santa

Never will appear.

How many days until Christmas?

It's mighty hard to count.

So these shiny ribbons

Will tell you the exact amount.

Untie a ribbon every night

When the sandman casts his spell

And Christmas Eve will be here,

By the time you reach the bell!

The kids still have them tucked away in their keepsake boxes

I decided this year to make (or buy) small boxes to wrap & put #'s on. Inside each box will be something to do as a family (watch the Christmas Story, bake cookies, drink hot chocolate, listen to christmas music, string popcorn and hang outside for the birds, read Isaiah 9:1-6, play scrabble, watch frosty the snowman, etc). I will either put the wrapped numbered boxes in a basket, or on a small tree, or decorate a wreath. Each morning, my kids can find the box with the correct number (#25 starts on Dec 1) in the morning when they wake up & unwrap it to see what fun thing we will be doing that evening as a family. It will give them something to think about throughout the day.

I bought a nail holder at the local store in the hardward section. The larger one has exactly 24 drawers that you can pull out and they're larger than the standard wood calendar drawers. I put slips of paper that are similar to previous ideas shared, e.g., wear red today, light the advent candle on Sunday, etc. Hope this helps and Merry Christmas

I just thought of a fun and easy way to make an advent calendar. Go to a thrift store or dollar store and buy 13 pairs of children/baby mittens. Using clothesline pins clip one glove on a pin then pin to a ribbon or decorative cord. You can use fabric paint or perm. markers to number the gloves then hang from your banister or around a doorway, or even the mantel or garland for your tree. (They can be stuffed w/ candy, inspirational notes, toys etc.) Kick it up a notch and paint the pins too or number the pins instead of the mittens.

Advent calendar.
Making an Advent Calendar
Holidays and Parties Christmas AdviceOctober 22, 2008
Printable advent calendar.
Printable Advent Calendars
Decorated and embellished fabric calendar.
Decorating a Linen Wall Calendar
family photos
Making a Photo Calendar
add surprise in each egg
Easter Egg Countdown Calendar