Browsing: Knitting With Fabric

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Knitting With Fabric

You don't have to limit your knitting projects to the use of yarn; try using fabric. This is a guide about knitting with fabric.

Knitting With Fabric

May 9, 2006 Flag

I am a knitter and have seen kits for knitting with strips of fabric. They make 1/2 inch wide strips from cloth, and you knit these into a purse, as if they were yarn. Instead of buying the kits which are outrageously expensive, I buy remnants of fabric, usually from the quilting area, and cut my own strips.

Instead of a hundred long strips that you have to attach together somehow, I just lay out the 3 or 4 yards of fabric, start at one corner, and go around and around the edges to cut one long piece that's about 1/2 inch wide. It breaks sometimes if my cutting is off, but then you only have a couple of connections to worry about and not one on every row.

The material, when knitted, will only reflect the colors you've chosen and not the actual pattern. So if there is Easter fabric on sale you can knit an item that has pastels in it, and no one can ever tell they were bunnies and eggs! What to knit? I made eyeglass cases and throw rugs made from several squares sewn together. When doing squares for a rug, you can use several different material patterns, as long as they are in the same color family and they will come out complementing each other nicely.

I just found some material so gorgeous that I am going to attempt my first top! Yarn is too warm to knit with or wear in the summer; I'm making a short sleeved top from a sunny gauzy material.

By Laurie from St. Louis, MO

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts KnittingFebruary 14, 2013
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
pink knitted hat
Knitting a Hat
Round Knitting Looms
Round Knitting Loom Tips
machine knitting a hat
Buying and Using a Knitting Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 8:39:39 AM on 10.0.1.237 in 522 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.