Knitting With Fabric

You don't have to limit your knitting projects to the use of yarn; try using fabric. This is a guide about knitting with fabric.

May 9, 2006 Flag

I am a knitter and have seen kits for knitting with strips of fabric. They make 1/2 inch wide strips from cloth, and you knit these into a purse, as if they were yarn. Instead of buying the kits which are outrageously expensive, I buy remnants of fabric, usually from the quilting area, and cut my own strips.

Instead of a hundred long strips that you have to attach together somehow, I just lay out the 3 or 4 yards of fabric, start at one corner, and go around and around the edges to cut one long piece that's about 1/2 inch wide. It breaks sometimes if my cutting is off, but then you only have a couple of connections to worry about and not one on every row.

The material, when knitted, will only reflect the colors you've chosen and not the actual pattern. So if there is Easter fabric on sale you can knit an item that has pastels in it, and no one can ever tell they were bunnies and eggs! What to knit? I made eyeglass cases and throw rugs made from several squares sewn together. When doing squares for a rug, you can use several different material patterns, as long as they are in the same color family and they will come out complementing each other nicely.

I just found some material so gorgeous that I am going to attempt my first top! Yarn is too warm to knit with or wear in the summer; I'm making a short sleeved top from a sunny gauzy material.

By Laurie from St. Louis, MO

Where can we get a pattern?

I tried knitting with yarn when I was a young girl but was so discouraged when the front and back of the shell sweater I worked on with small needles for so many hours turned out six inches different in size.

BUT years later...When I saw what fun things could be made by knitting with FABRIC, I was inspired to try knitting again and am happy to say I have recently sold a purse I made on my website I love being able to pull colors from my huge fabric stash to create something that is really artistic and not just functional.

I see that this is an old post. I wish I had known about it back then, as I had already been through another phase of fabric strip knitting. I wrote a leaflet for Leisure Arts, also, back in about 1991 on Crocheted Rugs with fabric strips. My tote bags are knit in one piece, including the bottom and the side boxing - very easy. I'll post a pattern soon on my blog.

Crafts KnittingFebruary 14, 2013
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
pink knitted hat
Knitting a Hat
Round Knitting Looms
Round Knitting Loom Tips
machine knitting a hat
Buying and Using a Knitting Machine