Asking My Mom To Let Me Shave

My name is Katie and I am 14 years old. I am a freshman in high school, and I dont shave. I would really like to but I am just too afraid to ask my mom. I am so embarresd by it and I need your adivce. I was wondering if I should just start (buy my own razors and go for it) or if I should just ask my mom.

I am still afraid to. I have started high school and it seems that all I can think about is hiding my legs and avoiding showing them at all (because at our school we have a uniform skirt). Leg shaving is a very common subject for girls my age to talk about (except me). All my friends talk about shaving and when they do I pretend to go bathroom or do something else. Imagine spending all of your time hiding or covering up your ugly, dark hairy legs. That is how I feel all the time. Please help.

Katie (14) from Cincinnati, OH

Best Answer

Katie, go ahead and talk to your mom. You might be surprised its something she prob has not given any thought to and it is something you have. I remember being the middle sister my mom one day

said 'you need to watch your sister shave or ask what to do' oops I was so mortified. Anyway my oldest sis used Nair hair removal creams and I still use this method the best. And some company like

Jergens makes a lotion for your legs that will slow

growth of hair or something similar. Good luck. At 14 you really need to talk to your mom or if this is still too hard try a sister, Aunt or even dear old dad. Good luck and remember your mom was 14 once too!

Best Answer

I wish I could give you a big hug! My husband and I work with our church's youth group and I have had similar talks with a lot of girls on all subjects. You need to go to mom and say that you would like to ask her something that is very important to you and ask her to listen to you all the way before she answers. Sometimes moms tune kids out with out even meaning too. Explain maturely why you want to do this and then be willing to listen to her. I view high school as the beginning of learning how to be an adult and that means having mature conversations about mature things. I really want you think about this thing... If you can't talk to your mom about shaving how on earth are you going to talk to her about more important things like drinking, sex, friends.... ? You can do this, she is your mom and she loves you A LOT even if she doesn't always show it.

Best Answer

Katie, your own mother was 14 years old at one time too! She went through the exact same thing as you are going through now. It's hard to think of our parents as ever being kids, but they were. I think crys7881 had a great idea, just ask about getting razors. Don't buy cheap disposals either, because as it was already mentioned, they feel like "cheese graters" and it won't be a good experience for you!

First, are you absolutely sure you have to shave? Hair will grow in darker and harder as years go by. If you think you should, then yes ask your mom. Tell her how you feel, and she can help you make sure you shave the right way. I know certain subjects are hard to talk about with moms, but this is actually a pretty tame question for her. You should always be able to talk to her about anything, as you are her daughter and she will always try to guide you the right way. Remember, she was your age once too!! Maybe an aunt or even a friend's mom can be someone you can talk to about "embarassing" subjects. By the way, I was 13 when I started shaving, and I didn't talk to my mom first and she was really upset! Good luck!

Tell your Mom what you've told us. She may not realize how much this bothers you.

I can totally relate to you...and I am now 24!! I just went out and bought my own razor, but I would suggest asking your mom. Next time ya'll are at the store just say "Mom can I get some razors?" I bet she will say yes in a heartbeat!! Just don't get too nervous about it...it will be okay!!!

Katie,

You're doing the right thing to want your mother's persmission & to try to find a way to talk to her about it. It may be much easier than you think once you just sit down to talk.Try not to be disappointed if you don't get the response you want from her. I know your mother will be glad you went to her & didn't go behind her back. You will be building trust - that's SO important. Be willing to listen to what she says & think about it before responding in a negative or overly emotional way. That will let her see how mature you're becoming.

One thing you might want to discuss with your mom about this subject is the use of creams that will remove hair instead of shaving, if her concern is your safety. They don't smell very good, but they work. That's how my daughter 'started' shaving. I told my daughter some pretty awful stories about my experiences learning to use a razor! :)

I'm proud of you for wanting to do what's right & go to your Mom & talk to her. It will make a positive difference in your relationship with her, even if she says no at first.

Take a deep breath, & go have that talk.

Good luck!

Jamie

Oh yeesh! I remember trying to sneak behind my mom's back & shave my legs when I was 12.I cut myself VERY badly & had a huge bandage I tried to hide under my bathrobe/nightgown - what was I thinking? Of COURSE she found out & I got a lecture, but I think it made her realise this was inevitable & after I healed up, she came around & helped me out.

I do think the depilatory idea is a good 1 - much safer than razors for a beginner.

Definitely don't be afraid to talk to your mom - if you can't talk to her about this, what can you talk to her about? She's your mom! I'm sure she cares about your feelings.

Perhaps you might approach it by asking her for help, rather than begging for permission? That is, "Mom, I need your help w/ a problem....."

FWIW

Hi,

If your mom don't want you to use razors ask for some hair remover such as Nair or maybe an electric razor.

If you start shaving don't use a bic they feel like cheese graters on your legs.

Number One: Shaved hair will not grow back darker and thicker once you start shaving. That is a wive's tale. Think about it. If hair grew back thicker from shaving, baldness would be cured! What happens is is that you get "whiskers" of a sort for awhile, because the hairs are so short. When/if you decide to stop shaving the hair will grow long enough to have a soft texture again.

Number Two: I know you respect your mom, and do ask her. She will probably say okay when she realizes you're embarrased about not shaving. If she says no, shave anyway and don't tell her. It's not like your doing drugs or having sex. There is nothing morally wrong with shaving. Do be as careful as you can be, watch what you're doing and don't go overboard! Good luck

Talk to your mom. She most likely doesn't know when you are ready for these kinds of talks. If you bring up the subject it will let her know you are ready.

My daughter is just turning 12 she asked me this summer to shave ,all the other girls noticed that she didn't shave. I bought her a good lady razor and helped her the first couple of times. She hasn't cut herself yet. I'm glad she asked me ,cause I snuck when I was a girl and cut myself badly.

I am 13 and I also have to ask my mom to shave. I am just going to tell her that I am growng up and I think I need to shave my legs.

I agree with most of the other replies posted.

Just talk with your Mom.

She will understand,especially if you approach her in a serious , mature way that shows you are ready to assume some new responsibilities for your own personal care.

Ask her about elecrtic shaver verses bics etc.You can cut yourself with those ( nicks).

All the best!

don't worry, you're not the only the only person who feels that way. I feel like that too, but i can't find the courage to ask my mom, and i have a school dance this friday, so i'm just gonna come home from school, and ask her... I can't wait! (actually i can)

I am thinking the exact same thing! I really want to ask my mum but i don't know how!! I think, when it's just you and her say casually " can i shave my legs"? Everything i've read so far has made me feel alot more confident.

I don't think she'll say no!!!

Luv ya lots!! xxx i'll pray for ya!

THere was a similar request on here....but this is all good advice! Tell your mom how embarrassed you feel, and then ask her. I am sure she remembers her first time with hair, and you'd be surprised how open she may be, because you brought it up. Moms can get too busy and may not realize (or not WANT to) you are growing up. But if you get a refillable cartridge razor, do not use aloe vera gel as a shaving cream (though it works great) it is REAL hard to rinse out! It is fine for the disposable 1 or 2 blade.

I'm 13 and everything I shaved just twice. I never cut myself(which is pretty cool). I didn't ask my mom or anything because I KNOW that she'll say no(she doesn't even let me pluck my eyebrows). But good luck anywayz.

xox,

Selena

Talk to your mom. I am sure that if she is like most moms, she just hasn't realized that this has become an issue for you and hasn't thought to bring it up. I shaved at 13 when I was away at camp and even though my mother wasn't "mad" I know that she was very disappointed that I did not consult her first. My daughter's older brother actually came and told me that his sister should start shaving her legs. He was very persuasive, even bought her a razor and blades. Maybe there is someone else close to you who could bring up the subject if you are uncomfortable bringing this up with your mother. Good Luck.

I'm 11 years old and I asked my mom a month ago if I could start shaving my legs and she sayed I don't know and this weekend we're having a picnic with some of our friends and my friend Lacy who is 13 started when she was 12 but I feel like I can keep up with it but I need to ask my mom before the picnic anyway how should I start to ask her?

I also don't shave and i want to really bad my friends, all of my friends do so i am just going to ask her one day when were at the store, i'm gonna be like mom i don't know how to say this, but i want to start shaving. I am also a shy girl. and so i don't know how i will do,but she'll say yes she cares about me and my feelings.

I am 13 and I really want to shave my arm pits. I have swimming tomorrow and I'm really scared! tonight should I ask my mum? I dunno what to say? Should I just say: mum, can I shave under my arms?" or what? PLEASE HELP!

A few years ago, I was in 6th grade and saw that everyone shaved. I wanted to, so I bought a razor and shaving cream. I cut deeply into my skin and had to lie to my mom and say I fell on the ground. I thought I would just let my hair grow out, and see if she asks me if I want to shave. She mentioned it, but didn't actually ask.

A couple of days later my cousin, who is younger than me, came over with nice shaved legs. My mom asked if since my cousin shaved, if I would want to. I said no and don't know why! My brother always teased me about my hairy legs. Then one day she asked me if I wanted to, and I gained enough courage to say yes. Now, I have a totally different problem. I'm 14 and want to wax my eyebrows. Again, my younger cousin waxes hers on the day I was going to ask my mom. So, once again I chickened out. I need help!

I'm going into 7th grade, and almost EVERYONE waxes their eyebrows, except me. I really want to, because some of the people who do don't even need to, but I have almost a unibrow! I have tried plucking, but its way too hard! also, I have an older sister who is 17. She said she started waxing in the middle of 7th grade, but I cant wait that long! help!

I had the same problem! One day I just said "mom, can I shave my legs?". It turns out she was waiting for me to ask, because she thought I didn't want to and was too scared to ask me! Just go for it, it may be scarry, but every girl has gone through it.

I have the same issue and I am 13. I am afraid she might think I'm growing up to fast and stuff. Every time I go up to her, I chicken out and start a different topic. Help me!

this is funny, i remember the bra thing, that was so embarassing, or when we started our monthly thing, gosh i got red in the face,lol, so dont back away from your legs, cause thats not as bad as what youre gonna go through, my mom never told us kids nothing, we learned it from our best friends, shave your legs, or they will call you hairy.lol good luck kids.!!!

Well what happen to me was I said wow I have more hair on my legs then my brother (he was sitting right there) and she said ehh wait as long as you can it will come back darker and thicker and I said but I can't wear shorts to school my legs are too hairy and she said okay so you can shave. And I was terrified to even talk about it.

I asked my mom how old she was when she first started shaving. Don't be scared. You'll never believe it, but she was a teenager at one time. I used to wear really baggy t-shirts as a kid. I developed before the other girls in my 5th grade class. After my best friend finished chasing around the school yard, she caught me and whispered "Hey, I think you need a bra". I looked at her like she had three heads. I was clueless, I had no idea. I went home and I remember it like it was yesturday. My mother was ironing, I walked up to her and said "Mom, I need a bra" She looked at me, said nothing and dug out my sisters old training bras. Yeah, no go, too small, and there is 7yrs between us. Elastic dried and streached out. Asking Mom wasn't the hard part, going to school being the only girl in clas with a bra, and the boys snapping the back of it was. My daughter is now 13. I was lucky. I told her when to start shaving, and and wearing a bra.

I feel the exact same way! There is this girl my mom wants me to be like! She is a goody two shoes! My mom won't let me do anything. No make up and if I ask her I know her exact words! " I shaved when I was 25! and I didn't even want to!" please help me! My mother isn't mean but she just UGH! I don't know what to do! While I was reading the feedback i started to cry. I don't know what to do! I was thinking of asking my brother to play rough with me and then say "eeew! Mom, Bianca has hairy legs and looks like king kong! Let her shave!"

I have the same problem one day iI looked at my legs it seems like it was more hairy than my friends. After that get so insecure about my look and ask myself "why can't be like them?" So I start to google "is it ok to shave your legs?". Then when I clicked the search button many positive answers appear. After that I start to shave the little part of my legs. I shave it in round motion so I can see if it really becomes thicker but when I ask my mom if I can shave my lets she gets mad at me because my hair will be more thicker and darker.

After reading the comments, I gained confidence. I think I'll text my mom after school tommorow asking," When can I shave my legs?" Just simply ask that full out.Then, if she says at a certain age, remind her.

When I started, I felt really embarrassed about my mum knowing and all, but really, it's just like asking your mum about bras.

I am a chicken and I really really need to it looks like I have an extra head of hair under my pits. I really need to have any advice to give me that would be great. My mom tells me to wear sleeveless shirts and you can see my Bff/stepsister saw it. I was so embarrassed how do I ask my mom or will my mom ever come to me and my legs too. Please help me!

I have the same problem! When I asked my mom, she got mad at me. She said it will only become worser and I bother her anyways. Then I went online lookin for how to make your skin clearer and stumbled upon this: "Eat soy." Apparently, soy is a female plant. It has female horomones that increases your femininity. One of the reason women grow excessive unwanted hair is because of the amount of male horomones in them. Peace ^__^

I meant drinking soy milk on my previous comment.

Shaving hair doesn't make it grow back thicker anyway. It's an old wives' tale. Here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l ... rt-answers/hair-removal/faq-20058427

So I'm 13 and starting high school (year 9) in a few weeks.

All my friends and my brothers take the kick out of my leg hairs,

I started shaving under my arms a few months ago.

I was aloud to shave my legs for prom but nothing else.

And at my new school you have to have your pe socks rolled down and in athletics you HAVE to wear ankle socks.

Please help me!! I've already been bullied 3 times in my life and do not want it again, need help asap!

I had exactly the same problem!

I think it is best if you ask your mom before you start shaving because you will probably get in trouble if you get caught. there are many ways to ask her but the most common and effective way is by talking to her face to face.

First make sure that you are alone with your mom(when you're in the car is a good time)Start by saying, "mom I don't feel comfortable with showing by legs because ... and when i am doing sports I usually get stared at by my class mates (providing her with evidence also helps)... so i was wondering if you would let me shave!

If she says NO don't get frustrated and walk away, instead ask her the reason for not letting you shave. You can either confess right then or you can wait for some time then talk about it. Giving her some time might help her think about what you have said or you can talk about it again after 2-3 months(during this time you can research about shaving if your mom is scared about you cutting yourself)

if she says YES give her about a week before you mention about it again. During this time pick the best razor for you).

Good luck:)

Hi Katie!

The way I used for asking my mom, was when when we were alone together, I simply blurted out "I shaved my legs" (I didn't.) I did this to see how she would react, if she was mad I would've said that I was kidding. Her reply: Really? I wish you told me before, but it's ok (something like that.) seeing that she was ok with it, I went of and shaved my legs :) probably not the best way to do it, but it worked for me.

when shes at work text her to get some razors for u then ask her to just put it on you desk or on your dresser i did this but i find nair easier that's what i did

female hand shaving legs
Asking Your Parents to Let You Shave
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ShavingOctober 14, 2005
tips for new moms
Time Management Tips for New Moms
A girl with her prom date.
Asking a Guy to Prom
Two child's hand print ornaments.
Homemade Birthday Gift Ideas for Mom
A daughter hugging her mother on her birthday.
Birthday Gift Ideas for Your Mom
🎉
🎄