Save Potato Water for Watering Ivy

When boiling potatoes, save the cooking water. Let it cool off completely. Then you can water your ivy plants with the potato water. You will be surprised with how pretty, green, and shiny the leaves will get.

By Annette from Tyler, TX

I've always heard that the starchy water from potatoes and even pasta is very good for watering plants. I had forgotten about this, thanks for sharing.

Actually I think you can use any water you cooked vegetables in to water your plants or pour into your compost if it is dry.

Didn't know about the potato water and plants.

Used to save off when fixen super and add milk for gravy, and save for potatoe roll.

It would seem reasonable that this would work, but I cook my potatoes with salt in the water. I am wondering if this would harm the plants. Does anyone know? Lydia (New Caney, Texas)

I drain the liquid into another pan and add one to two cups of the cooked potatoes and put it in the fridge after it cools.

The next day I add a can of evaporated milk and any leftover potatoes*. Then I either make potato soup or use it for a base for a great chowder. Corn, oysters, leftover chicken, peas, anything in the fridge LOL - chowder is a great way to use up leftovers.

*OK sometimes I turn the leftover potatoes into potato pancakes:)

Salty water is bad for plants. Even watering with soft-water isn't good after awhile. I had never heard of using veggie water....thanks for the tip!

Water that is used to boil your eggs in is also great for ivy plants.

Ivy Cutting
Growing Ivy
Better Living Green Living GardeningApril 29, 2009
Ivy on a building.
Removing Ivy From a Building or Home
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Watering a gardening with drip irrigation.
Watering Your Garden
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants