Refurbishing a Silk Flower Swag

I have an expensive silk flower swag that I had made for my bedroom almost 10 years ago. The greenery on it was looking pretty sad and had lots of dust on it. I hated to toss it out and could not figure how to clean it. I did not want to buy the stuff you purchase at the craft shop for cleaning such items so I came up with an idea.

I took the swag and hung it on my fence out back for about 2 weeks. During that time, it has rained a lot. The temperature has been cool so there was not much sun to fade it out. I went and purchased several bunches of new silk flowers to replace some of the colors in the swag. I lucked out and found these flowers at a flea market for a $1 per bunch. I paid a total of $7 for the flowers. A few days ago, I went outside and checked on the swag and the whole arrangement looked so clean and pretty! I took it in and removed the colors of silk flowers I did not want and replaced them with the new ones.

For a grand total of $7, my swag looks brand new!

By cookiepom from Owensboro, KY

Read somewhere that you should put the artificial flowers in a big bag with salt in it, close it & shake it to get ride of the dust - (I would try with a sample first.)

You can also clean any silk flowers or arrangements by putting them in a large plastic bag - anything that is big enough for what you are working with - along with some ordinary table salt ( amount depends again on what you are doing ) and close off the top of bag and give a GOOD shake or two. Repeat if necessary.

Silk flowers.
Cleaning Silk Flowers, Swags and Wreaths
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousOctober 31, 2006
Golden silk fabric
Cleaning Silk
Silk Wedding Flowers
Silk Flower Wedding Centerpieces
silk flowers in a glass vase
Coloring Silk Flowers
Silk Flower Fairies
Making Silk Flower Fairies
🎉
🎄