House PlantsGardening

Eliminating Cat Pee Odor from a Potted Plant

My cat has peed in one of my plants and I want to know how I can get the cat smell out of my plant without replanting it?

By Virginia from Menomonie, WI

Answers

Virginia, I had this same problem years ago and the only way I was finally able to get rid of the smell was to replace all the soil. To do this I lifted the plant out and shuck off most of the soil from the roots. Repotted the plant with new potting soil. I then placed some lava rocks on top of the soil and it never did happen again. Cats like soft loose soil for a kitty box. Any type of rocks would probably work.