Cross Breeding Dogs

My dog is 3/4 min pin and 1/4 chihuahua. If I breed her with a full bred chihuahua will her puppies be considered a min pin chihuahua mix, or mutts?

By Kakors from Richland, WA

Definitely with a bernese! But why do you want to breed her to begin with? Is it to continue the breed? Or are you just thinking they'd be cute puppies that you could make some extra money with?

If it's the "cute puppy and extra money" reason, then please, for the sake of the future dogs you'd be producing! Find another method of making money!

If it's to better the breed, then contact your local Bernese Mountain Dog breed club (you can find out about them through WWW.AKC.ORG) and talk to them before you do anything else.

I would say they would be min-pin/chihuahua mix. We have a chi-a-poo (3/4 chihuahua, 1/4 poodle). She was bred with a full bred chihuahua and her puppies are also considered chi-a-poos because of the poodle in the mother.

Renee in TN

Please reconsider. Many people think their dog would make a great litter of puppies, but there are so many dogs out there that need homes. Please don't breed your dogs.

That's really a question to ask of the AKC because they can give you a correct answer with certainty. If the dogs aren't registered and you don't plan on selling the puppies I am begging you don't breed because there are so many unwanted dogs and puppies out there already that need homes and are put to sleep if not adopted :-(

If you're interested, click on my contact button here and maybe we could get together for a cup of coffee cause I live in Richland, WA too ;-)

Mixed breed dogs are mutts.

Here is a very small sample of what goes on all over the country, there are hundreds no probably thousands of dogs euthanized every day.

All of the above mentioned dogs, except the chihuahua are mutts. All mixed breed dogs (even the expensive cutesie ones) are really just mutts.

Please don't do it. There are too many dogs in shelters who need homes, don't add to the problem. Have your dogs spayed and neutered. Please.

Please don't think about the dog's health but if you cross breed them then they have double trouble. My little man has crocked legs an squashed chest. My husband and son bought him for me. Owners never mentioned it to them. I noticed ot younger than advertised. Vet said 4 weeks but he wasn't sure if he would pull through. Thank god he did. he was crossed with larger Chihuahua.

August 27, 2009 Flag

I am thinking about mating my Bernese Mountain Dog. Should I mate with a Bernese or a Great Pyrenees?

By ldoyle8605 from IL

Answers:

Cross Breeding Dogs

In my opinion, I think that you shouldn't mate at all. Keep in mind that if you mate, that you will have to sell or give all the puppies that you don't want away. And with the economy as bad as it is, most people won't buy. Many shelters are full now because people can't take care of their animals, just keep that in mind. (07/28/2009)

By lmn95

Cross Breeding Dogs

So true. My husband & I breed pedigree GSD's and GR's but we also do private rescue work (on a very minor scale), usually about 12 - 18 dogs a year. By the end of June this year we had re homed more than 24 dogs and still had 5 in our kennels looking for homes! If you must breed your dog never, never crossbreed. Contrary to popular belief it is NOT good for your dog to have puppies. Do you know how many things can go wrong?

Oh and by the way, we have also suspended our breeding program. Love your dog for what she is - your friend and companion. (07/28/2009)

By mommabruv

Cross Breeding Dogs

I wish that the government would step in and make it against the law (with a huge fine and long prison sentence) for anyone to breed animals without a license. And that license should be next to impossible to get. Potential breeders should have to prove their intent to breed to better the breed and not just for the sake of getting some "cute little puppies to make some cash off of". And cross breeding should carry an even higher penalty. (07/28/2009)

By Cricketnc

Cross Breeding Dogs

Many people still believe that old tale that a female should have one litter of pups. Not only is that actually detrimental to her health (she has a much higher risk of mammary cancer if she has pups), but it lessens the chance of a rescue dog being adopted. Another homeless dog will be euthanized instead; there are simply more dogs and cats in the world than there are homes. Why bring unwanted animals into the world deliberately? Please spay your dog instead.

Oh, and on the subject of thriftiness, check out vet costs in order to responsibly breed. It is not a money-making enterprise! One sick pup at the vet's for two days just cost our rescue $1000. Then there are health checks, vaccinations, etc.

Sincerely, Janet, an animal-rescue volunteer (07/29/2009)

By MotherOfTwelveCats

Cross Breeding Dogs

Think about it first; the great Pyrenees is a giant breed. The Bernese is cute and large, many similarities between the two, however, have you thought of the health risks? The Bernese dog and Great Pyr have similar health issues, osteosarcoma being one. Separately these are healthy dogs, as someone said, what about the puppies? They need to know about the breeds, and will see these cute little dogs, you think temperamentally sweet, but in cross breeding you never are sure. Please reconsider and stay with breeding the Bernese with the Bernese, if you have ever been to a shelter and seen a great pyr, you will know why..or any canine for that matter. (07/29/2009)

By Anne Winston

Cross Breeding Dogs

Please take the advice of those that have cared enough to respond back to you and don't breed your dog, or before you do just go to your local animal shelter and walk through and then ask them when they will put to sleep the animals. It is heart breaking to see. Our local animal shelter puts them down once a week. The animals never really have a chance once they go in. Please be responsible and just think about it before you do it. (07/29/2009)

By cats4me

Cross Breeding Dogs

I think it would be better to keep them pure bred. Hybrids are in a way mutts. They are also more valuable pure bred. Pure bred dogs are much less likely to end up in a shelter, their monetary value often saves their lives. (07/29/2009)

By Lily May

Cross Breeding Dogs

I am a huge animal lover and a foster mom for a local shelter, and I absolutely adore both BMDs & GPs, but please do not breed your dog for any reason! Any pup you create is like putting another to death. There are far too many wonderful animals put down every day in the country, just because there are not enough good homes. I know for a fact, that one county in my state of FL, euthanized over 130,000 (YES, you read that right), in a 10 year period. Multiply that times 67 the # of counties in our state, then by 50 for entire country. We have got to figure out a better way to take care of God's creatures, and it starts w/spaying and neutering all pets. =^.^= KeGoS!yo (07/29/2009)

By MissmyHannah

Cross Breeding Dogs

Please don't breed your dog. Even if you find good homes for all of the puppies, that means that those homes will not be available for dogs who may be put to death without them. (07/29/2009)

By amhappy

Cross Breeding Dogs

If you love Bernese Mountain Dogs please please do not breed your female. I know the lure of seeing the adorable puppies is strong. Before you decide to breed look online at your breed rescue groups. Most have heart breaking stories and the dogs are innocent victims. Better to become a foster home for your favorite breed. Please be a life saver not a life ender. (07/29/2009)

By merlene

Cross Breeding Dogs

Don't breed your dog. Shelters are overflowing with every type of dog there is. I work with lots of rescue groups and it is heartbreaking that all these dogs are dying because there are too many being taken to shelters. (07/30/2009)

By sharonott1

Cross Breeding Dogs

I agree. Unless you are a breeder, please do not breed your dog. Good breeders breed out health problems and you don't know what you will end up with or someone else who buys the pup will end up with. It's just not fair to the puppies. I have a chihuahua who was rescued from a puppy mill at a very very young age. She has had 2 knee surgeries due to bad breeding. She's not a well dog. (08/07/2009)

By lorraina

Dog Breeding
Dog Breeding
Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 27, 2009
Cross Stitch
Finding Cross Stitch Patterns
Cojack
Cojack Breed Information and Photos
Bengalese Finches
Breeding Bengalese Finches
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
🎉
🎄