Facial Redness

I'm 38 and have always been fair skinned with dark hair and with red splotches on my face, including some acne. The acne is not that much of a problem as is the redness I have on my face. My cheeks, chin, and forehead always look like I have a slight sunburn. I can't remember ever having even skin tone.

Makeup doesn't stay on my face very well, so I'm always searching for a good makeup. I like the mineral powders as they don't aggravate my skin causing acne, but I have to re-apply it several times a day. I would really prefer to just not wear any makeup, but the redness makes me look horrible. Any suggestions on how to even out my skin tone so I don't have to wear foundation of any kind? Or am I just stuck with this type of redness for skin?

By susluvsvintage

Best Answer

It sounds like rosacea. 1% Metrogel is expensive. 75% metronidazole gel is generic and just as effective.

Best Answer

If you have a local store in a mall that handles Clinque cosmetics I would visit them and ask for a sample as they have several products for redness. They have a small set of "Redness Solutions" that runs about $25. you can buy. I've tried it with success. They also have specials they run several times a year. Go on to their website and you can find a lot of information about the redness causes and some different solutions. I've worn their products for years as I have very sensitive skin.

Best Answer

It might be rosacea as others have mentioned. However, it might also be a form of yeast infection which can be treated with a steroidal cream. A doctor or dermatologist would need to do a differential diagnosis. Good luck

Best Answer

There's a skin care cream called euricine that has a green neutralizer in it for red patchy skin or you could go to your cosmetic counter at your local store and ask for a cover stick that has a green tint to it this is to be worn under make up to reduce redness on the skin it works i have the same problem try mabeline makeup its liquid base with sunscreen and it stays on all day and won't irritate your skin. Then dust your face with a loose powder like corn silk another good brand.

Best Answer

I don't know if Sarna is new on the shelves but my husband also has facial redness. He applies the Sarna before retiring for the night and although not complete cleared the redness is lightened. There are two different types, one in a green pump bottle, the other in a blue one. There is also a tub that they have. A tad pricey but usually you get what you pay for, so I'm buying it for him. Hope you get some relief from some of the suggestions already made.

This is copied directly from a web site:

Rosacea (pronounced "roh-ZAY-sha") is a chronic and potentially life-disruptive disorder primarily of the facial skin, often characterized by flare-ups and remissions. Rosacea affects mostly adults, usually people with fair skin, between the ages of 30 and 60. Many have observed that it typically begins any time after age 30 as a redness on the cheeks, nose, chin or forehead. It typically first appears as a flushing or redness that comes and goes. In some cases, rosacea may also occur on the neck, chest, scalp or ears. Sometimes referred to Acne Rosacea or misdiagnosed as adult acne, Rosacea has no specifically known cause.

Here is the website..

http://www.totaldermatology.com/pages/Rosacea.html

They have topical and oral meds to take for this. It really should be looked at by a dermatologist. My sister has this and she has to be careful in the sun.

Good luck.

My dermatologist gave me "metrolGel" and it works beautifully! The tube lasts a long time also (as it is a little pricey).

My daughter, 29, started drinking Soy based milk. (Only likes the chocolate), once a day, and her red cheeks and arms have disappeared.

Also grandaughter, 4, drinks it and her cheeks have improved.

Worth a try, and good for you!!

Rosacea. I was diagnosed w/ it in my mid-thirties, after several years of embarrassment. Complete strangers w/ tell me my "skin doesn't have to look that way" & suggest remedies, & others warned me I might have Lupus. Ever since using Sulfacet or MetroGel (for about 20 yrs now) as a daily topical cream, & faithfully using daily high-protection sunscreen, I've been okay.

Sounds like Rosacea. Google for homeopath remedies and foods to eat and foods to avoid. As for makeup, any makeup will stay on better and longer if you 'set' it with powder.

I have rosacea & I don't like the gel medications I have been prescribed. I do like using tea tree oil soap ($3.50 for 2 good size bars at Trader Joe's). I think the soap has had a good impact. When my face was really bad, the doctor put me on a small dose of antibiotics daily & that helped a lot. I found also that very spicy foods, alcohol & stress make my face redder!

Metrogel never worked for me and it was very expensive. I've tried every rosacia med and I found out my cleanser was the problem. I now use Este Lauder cleanser and a toner and my face is now clear.

One thing I have not seen that could be contributing to your facial redness.....blood pressure. If you do not know your base line BP, check it with a BP cuff. Wal-Mart sells a pretty good one that does not require a stethoscope and you can do yourself. If that is not feasible, just use their store BP machine. You need to check it every day around the same time and on the same arm to get a good base knowledge of how yours runs. If yours is questionable, go to your Doc and get meds if it is indicated or change up your diet to be more BP oriented. My Sis had undiagnosed high BP until I noticed her on several occassions with a red forhead, and too rosey cheecks. Hers was pretty high and did not respond well to a diet change. She is currently on BP meds. If a dermatoligist rules out roscasia, it could very well be BP related. Either way, you'll do well to get checked. Good Luck!

Dear, dear lady. I think you have rosecea. I also have the same kind of face you do; red cheeks, nose, chin and all over red.

email me if you want. sandysheep 1 @yahoo.com

just no spaces between p and 1 and @

Add plenty of good clean water to your routine. Drink green tea. Exercise and sweat a lot. Clean and moisturize daily. I recommend all natural cleaning and moisturizing. Try to avoid make-up. You are probably allergic to it. i.e. the having to reapply it throughout the day.

Be patient while your skin clears up. A lady with clean glowing skin is far prettier than one with make up all piled on to cover skin problems. If all else fails, see a dermatologist. Good luck.

I used to have the same problem for years,and I also was told that I had roseasa, and then I was diagnosed with acid reflux...and went on a diet from spicy foods, tomatoes, citrus, no chocolate, sodas, salts, peppers, no fried foods, no caffeine. Just check on acid reflux. Since then I have hardly had the problem with the redness of the facial skin. It is worth a try. Anything is better than the redness and the embarrassment that it causes. It was embarrassing to go to town or to church and someone say, "what is wrong with your face", and feel like people are staring at you.

Facial Redness
Remedies for Facial Redness
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin CareJune 16, 2009
Little Girl using Kleenex Facial Tissues
Saving Money on Facial Tissues
woman with nice skin
Making and Storing Homemade Facial Peels
Woman with facial mask and cukes on eyes.
Homemade Facial Cleanser Recipes
Preparing Oatmeal Facial Scrubs
Oatmeal Facial Scrubs
🎉
🎄