Use an Oatmeal Box to Hold Yarn

When knitting or crocheting with different color yarns, slide skeins into empty oatmeal boxes. These boxes can be set into another box of the appropriate size to hold them, or they can be taped together so they will not fall over. When the skein would normally flatten and begin to tangle, it maintains the skein shape and is easy to use all the way to the end.

As an alternative, if you are using a lot of different colors, you can get an empty wine case which holds 12 or 16 bottles. It has the cardboard dividers which hold the different skeins.

I have used both of these and have become tangle-free.

Source: My own imagination.

By Clynn from Inglis, FL

Use An Oatmeal Box To Hold Yarn

February 8, 2010 Flag

Use An Oatmeal Box To Hold Yarn
This is great to use to hold your yard in an oatmeal box. Now no more knotted yarns while you are crocheting.

By Sheila from Wisconsin

Use an Oatmeal Box to Hold Yarn

Great idea. Another one is to rinse and dry 2 lt. soda bottles. When dried, carefully slice the top off just as it is all one size. In other words, once the curve down to the center is done, cut it. Then, slip in your yarn and thread through the opening, and press the cap "top" back down. If you want, you can use some duct tape in make a "hinge" on the back so it just sits on the top like a lid. Tape the edges with clear strapping tape, as plastic can cut you. Good Luck!! (01/23/2009)

By Poor But Proud

Use an Oatmeal Box to Hold Yarn

Wonderful idea never would have thought of. It is amazing that the simplest thing can be useful. (01/24/2009)

By dee

Use an Oatmeal Box to Hold Yarn

I loved your idea with the oatmeal boxes, but I took it one step further. I have collected about 8 oatmeal boxes. Just to make them prettier, I covered each with contact paper. Then I took industrial strength velcro (it holds better than regular velcro) and put it around the edge where the lid goes on and around the inside of the lid so it holds the box to the lid. This way the lid stays on good, but I can still take it on and off as needed. I made a hole in the center of the bottom of the box for the yarn to come through.

Ok now for the reason for so many boxes. I put one strip of the velcro down the side of each box in such a way that I could join all the boxes together. This way, whenever I'm working on a project that uses more than one color I can join as many boxes together as I need with each color in it's own box. No more tangled skeins as I'm working! (05/18/2009)

By Cricketnc

Photos CraftsFebruary 8, 2010
A bowl of oatmeal.
Saving Money On Oatmeal
knitting needles
Using Eyelash Yarn
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
A trunk for putting congratulations card into at a wedding.
Making a Card Box for Your Wedding